Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Dladymon on June 27, 2016, 06:11:16 pm

Title: Working from film negs stored as JPEG or Tiff files in LR or Photoshop
Post by: Dladymon on June 27, 2016, 06:11:16 pm
I am still shooting some film (primarily B&W) and importing the JPEG or Tiff files into LR.  I have read several thoughts about losing/not losing data with JPEG so, rightly or wrongly, I have moved to TIFF only.  Now I understand that you can save your tiff files as raw files in LR.  Does anyone have any experience in doing this?  Pros and cons?  Thanks!

Dal
Title: Re: Working from film negs stored as JPEG or Tiff files in LR or Photoshop
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 27, 2016, 07:10:59 pm
I am still shooting some film (primarily B&W) and importing the JPEG or Tiff files into LR.  I have read several thoughts about losing/not losing data with JPEG so, rightly or wrongly, I have moved to TIFF only.  Now I understand that you can save your tiff files as raw files in LR.  Does anyone have any experience in doing this?  Pros and cons?  Thanks!

Dal

Scanning directly to TIFF preferably in 48-bit mode is definitely the correct approach.

Once a file is rendered as a TIFF it is no longer raw and there is no benefit to converting it to anything else. LR's editing functions work very well on TIFFs.
Title: Re: Working from film negs stored as JPEG or Tiff files in LR or Photoshop
Post by: Dladymon on June 28, 2016, 03:54:24 am
Thanks Mark!
Title: Re: Working from film negs stored as JPEG or Tiff files in LR or Photoshop
Post by: dwswager on June 28, 2016, 08:16:08 pm
Scanning directly to TIFF preferably in 48-bit mode is definitely the correct approach.

Once a file is rendered as a TIFF it is no longer raw and there is no benefit to converting it to anything else. LR's editing functions work very well on TIFFs.

+1