Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: luong on June 27, 2016, 12:44:47 am

Title: Sony Artisan, anyone ?
Post by: luong on June 27, 2016, 12:44:47 am
If you've been in this long enough to have used a CRT, you may remember that the Sony Artisan monitor was the gold standard. In 2008, I retired mine in favor of a NEC LCD3090WQXi LCD. The last few days, I tried to put it back in service. The Artisan software didn't work (it looped), so I ran Coloreyes software to recalibrate. The problem is that while mid-tones and highlight were OK, shadows (anything less than 60 on a scale 0-255) were just awful. At the time the monitor was retired it was working just fine, so I am wondering if the hardware can degrade that much in 8 years while the monitor was not in use at all ?
Title: Re: Sony Artisan, anyone ?
Post by: digitaldog on June 27, 2016, 09:39:14 am
I was a huge Artisan supporter and user. That was then. This is now. Move on. Even that 3090 (which I also owned in the past) which is a much better system is past it's gold standard prime.
I think the creator of the Artisan (Karl Lang) would suggest trying to use that product with anything but his software, which isn't going to be updated, is a big mistake.
Title: Re: Sony Artisan, anyone ?
Post by: luong on June 27, 2016, 01:33:41 pm
Yes, now that I remember, I used to calibrate it with Coloreyes. The Artisan is for a secondary, seldom-used computer. I know it is no longer state of the art, but I was expecting some decent display. That's not what I am getting at all, therefore I am wondering what happened.
Title: Re: Sony Artisan, anyone ?
Post by: digitaldog on June 27, 2016, 04:14:55 pm
Yes, now that I remember, I used to calibrate it with Coloreyes. The Artisan is for a secondary, seldom-used computer. I know it is no longer state of the art, but I was expecting some decent display. That's not what I am getting at all, therefore I am wondering what happened.
Ideally you'd not be using Coloreyes but again, the software from Sony, designed for that product.