Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on June 25, 2016, 05:42:56 am

Title: Sale of the Century
Post by: seamus finn on June 25, 2016, 05:42:56 am
-

Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 25, 2016, 07:09:15 am
-

Amusing. What's behind the road sign?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: RSL on June 25, 2016, 09:12:00 am
Good shooting Seamus. An unusual situation for street; a situation where color makes all the difference.
Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 25, 2016, 10:11:21 am
It sure has ambiguity.
I'm curious about what kind of "regulation" is referred to.
Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: seamus finn on June 26, 2016, 09:38:40 am
Jeremy and Eric,

I'm sorry now I didn't work the scene to reveal what's behind the sign - lesson learned. But then again, revealing everything might take away some of the puzzle.

Russ, I'm beginning to get more into colour for 'street', contradicting my long-held and mistaken belief that black and white is the only way for this genre.
Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: RSL on June 26, 2016, 09:42:16 am
And I just posted "Bowling," which would have lost its kick in B&W.
Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: francois on June 27, 2016, 09:31:59 am
It's puzzling and I like it.
Title: Re: Sale of the Century
Post by: Rob C on June 28, 2016, 06:37:49 am
Jeremy and Eric,

I'm sorry now I didn't work the scene to reveal what's behind the sign - lesson learned. But then again, revealing everything might take away some of the puzzle.

Russ, I'm beginning to get more into colour for 'street', contradicting my long-held and mistaken belief that black and white is the only way for this genre.


Be careful, Seamus.

I think that colour takes it out of street and into almost pure graphics, which is not street as per classical understanding of it.

It's part of the attraction - for me - of Saul Leiter, whose b/white I consider pure street, yet his colour not and, instead, delightful abstraction. He started non-religious life as a painter, which he kept up all his many days, and perhaps the sense of abstract graphics was always going to run through, whatever else he did.

I think both disciplines are perfectly possible within the same person, as he proved, but I don't think they are the same thing. I do not see the image in this thread as street at all. To me, it's graphics.

Rob