Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: markymarkrb on June 23, 2016, 04:02:25 pm

Title: Hasselblad X-Pan Rumors
Post by: markymarkrb on June 23, 2016, 04:02:25 pm
First of all, the Hasselblad X1D-50C looks like it will be a great camera and I hope it is succcessful for Hasselblad and for the MF community in general.  I like many of you was hoping that Hasselbald would release an X-Pan for this recent announcement.  While Indid not totally expect it, I was hoping to get it.  As I have said in other forums, I met with a Hasselblad rep recently in DC and he mentioned that Hasselblad was aware of the demand for the X-Pan and consider it a "silver bullet."  I did make a few observations during the X1D presentation and wantes to point those out.

From Ove Bengtsson

"And For those of you who may know your history about the X-Pan, might see some similarities in the focal lengths....just a coincidence"

Perry Oosting

"There is more to come. Of course we have Photokina.   There will be more surprises at Photokina"

"I do understand that this question cones up. X1D, X-Pan, the history etc.  Let me be very clear.  First of all we have a fantastic relationship with Fuji, as a matter of fact 3 weeks ago, we were in Japan.  We have a good relationship with eachother, like with many other manufacturers."


I think we will see the digital X-Pan at Photokina this year.  Share some thoughts.

Mark

www.markbensonreeder.com


Title: Re: Hasselblad X-Pan Rumors
Post by: torger on June 23, 2016, 04:14:29 pm
I don't think so. It is this thing with sensors, custom sizes seems to be hard to do especially now with Sony as the provider. They have the 44x33mm 50MP and the 54x41mm 100MP. That's it.

There's a built-in X-Pan crop mode in the X1D. I think that is what we get to see of the X-Pan.

If they really really wanted and spent the money they could probably have a custom size made, but it's not money well spent.
Title: Re: Hasselblad X-Pan Rumors
Post by: NickT on June 23, 2016, 04:45:22 pm
The X1D lenses are made by the same company that made the X-Pan lenses, perhaps that's what Ove was referring too.

I cannot see HB spending enormous amounts of money on R&D to produce such a niche camera. I think it made a great deal of sense in the film days for those wanting Panos but that was before stitching...
Title: Re: Hasselblad X-Pan Rumors
Post by: hasselbladfan on June 24, 2016, 03:48:48 am
Agree. The X1D has a panoramic crop and this is about it. End of story, I believe.