Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 01:11:41 pm

Title: No-show solstice moon
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 01:11:41 pm
I like including the moon in my landscapes so it seemed like a good night to do just that but the thick cloud bank to the East prevented that last night. So I made do with what I had to work with which wasn't bad either. At least I got some moon photos the previous evening.

P645D & FA 45-85
(https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7384/27196873894_96c8e46836_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Hri65S)IMGP4092-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/Hri65S) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

P645D & A 35
(https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7342/27196876774_dfc0f6ccd9_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Hri6Ww)IMGP4105-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/Hri6Ww) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

The mosquitoes were really thick as the receding flood waters have left lots of little puddles for them to breed in.
This was my solution. My hands were exposed but slathered in deet but I still decided I need gloves for this too.
(https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13450954_10209158457431061_3785610309424248679_n.jpg?oh=c9e6b6bbf95d3cc391a187d4d6d45c74&oe=57D97639)

Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 21, 2016, 02:35:06 pm
Wonderful clouds in the first, Matt.

Jeremy
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: Chairman Bill on June 21, 2016, 02:42:12 pm
Great shots
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 21, 2016, 02:46:03 pm
...My hands were exposed but slathered in deet but I still decided I need gloves for this too...

Good idea (gloves). Otherwise, handling plastic with deet-slathered hands would probably result in letters and numbers on the camera body being smeared or wiped off.
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 03:04:18 pm
Good idea (gloves). Otherwise, handling plastic with deet-slathered hands would probably result in letters and numbers on the camera body being smeared or wiped off.

Yeah, I just tried to cover the backs of my hands for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 03:24:39 pm
Wonderful clouds in the first, Matt.

Jeremy

Great shots

Thanks! We have had really great clouds this spring.
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: sierraman on June 21, 2016, 10:55:53 pm
Every photo has a story behind it. Glad you added yours to these images. That first image is a "Luminous Landscape".  :)
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: thierrylegros396 on June 22, 2016, 03:05:23 am
Every photo has a story behind it. Glad you added yours to these images. That first image is a "Luminous Landscape".  :)

+1 for the first very enjoyable :) :)

Have A Nice Day.

Thierry
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 22, 2016, 03:54:26 am
Wonderful light.
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: philaitman on June 22, 2016, 05:48:54 am
Amazing clouds and damn nasty mosquitos
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 22, 2016, 11:22:29 am
Amazing clouds and damn nasty mosquitos
+1.
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: MattBurt on June 22, 2016, 11:47:58 am
Damn nasty indeed! There is an outdoor concert venue near this location that wanted me to come shoot last night but I ended up not going because I didn't want to deal with the mosquitoes again! We just need to dry out a little more and they will get much more manageable.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 22, 2016, 12:29:10 pm
Good idea (gloves). Otherwise, handling plastic with deet-slathered hands would probably result in letters and numbers on the camera body being smeared or wiped off.

An example of just one day of handling a light meter with hands covered in sun-screen cream containing deet:
Title: Re: No-show solstice moon
Post by: MattBurt on June 22, 2016, 01:40:42 pm
An example of just one day of handling a light meter with hands covered in sun-screen cream containing deet:

Yeah, I don't want that!
Has anyone used any insect-proof gloves they liked? I may just get these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076O5N4Q/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2DN6GMC80OLFQ) although I'm not a fan of camo.

I just want something that won't be hot and will stop bugs which most of the reviewers seemed to agree were traits of these particular gloves.