Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 10:12:53 am

Title: Dawn
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 10:12:53 am
.
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: stamper on June 21, 2016, 12:20:20 pm
A winner. The different tones complement each other really well.
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 21, 2016, 02:43:33 pm
Nice one, Russ. The only thing that spoils it for me is the diagonal white lines across the distant tree trunks, caused I presume by a fence of some kind. Not sure there's much that can be done, though.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 02:50:52 pm
Yeah, that damned fence is a problem. Here's another one from right next to the first one. I was able to hide the fence in this one -- except for a tiny bit at the right. Probably could have cropped it. Heaven forfend.
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 21, 2016, 03:42:42 pm
Yeah, that damned fence is a problem. Here's another one from right next to the first one. I was able to hide the fence in this one -- except for a tiny bit at the right. Probably could have cropped it. Heaven forfend.

I like that one. The light on the central trunk is lovely.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 03:46:31 pm
I like it but I find myself wishing a little bit of light reached the bottom third of the frame to add more life there.
The the rim effect of the backlight and the leading shadows are wonderful.
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 04:20:13 pm
Photoshop can add light to the bottom third of the frame, Matt, but usually I take it the way it is. It's a philosophical question.
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 05:06:19 pm
Photoshop can add light to the bottom third of the frame, Matt, but usually I take it the way it is. It's a philosophical question.

Right, I wouldn't do that either but I might try to recompose or wait to see if the light would reach a little farther (or come earlier if the sun is going up and not down).
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: David Eckels on June 21, 2016, 05:25:20 pm
Probably could have cropped it. Heaven forfend.
They say that wisdom increases as we grow in our experience, Russ. Which means as we get old ;) I like the shot regardless, cropped or not (I'm a crapper, er, cropper), the light is interesting.  :) You're intrigued with that little piece of real estate perhaps; have I seen that fence in the background before? Sorry for my lame humor ;)
Title: Re: Dawn
Post by: RSL on June 22, 2016, 09:36:35 am
Right David, I'm intrigued with that little piece of real estate because of the fascinating things the light does there when the sun first pokes its head up. It's a little pond that for years was full of water and always had birds fishing in the morning. Then the powers that be suddenly realized Miami and environs are draining the Floridan aquifer, and stopped us from keeping the pond full, even though we're far north of Miami and don't affect the aquifer very much. Wouldn't want to crimp development in the Miami area. But the pond still is a fascinating piece of real estate, and occasionally it rains hard enough to more or less fill it up. Unfortunately it drains too soon to attract the birds again.