Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on June 20, 2016, 09:10:55 pm

Title: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 20, 2016, 09:10:55 pm
I'm totally lost on this one. Can't decide if this is trash or if I don't know what to do with it. I am not able to get it to meet my pre-exposure expectations. Thanks for your candor, t.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Bruce Cox on June 20, 2016, 10:48:49 pm
If a sense of the volumes is what you are missing, you might try lowering the contrast.

I makes me want to go get a step ladder so that I could shoot it more level and square.  I find the second floor more interesting than the first, much less ground.  The second floor seems more aspirational even if it is just escape.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: muntanela on June 21, 2016, 02:24:29 am
Perhaps a front view could be better, could help to simplifying the image.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: degrub on June 21, 2016, 02:47:34 am
What did you see in your mind's eye before you shot ?
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: stamper on June 21, 2016, 03:17:53 am
What did you see in your mind's eye before you shot ?


What he saw is what he captured??? Personally I think it is a fine contrasty image. It is a "busy" image but the detail is worth looking at.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 21, 2016, 06:43:06 am
What did you see in your mind's eye before you shot ?

I think that is a real good question.

For the OP what were your intentions?  Knowing what you were going after might make it easier for us to offer constructive opinions.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: stamper on June 21, 2016, 08:59:57 am
I think that is a real good question.

For the OP what were your intentions?  Knowing what you were going after might make it easier for us to offer constructive opinions.

I think it is reasonable to assume what he posted is what he intended? Do you think he posted something that he didn't intend?
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 09:12:18 am
Todd, for cat's sake, stop worrying about what's worth continuing. Shoot for yourself. If YOU think it's worth continuing then it's worth continuing. I happen to like this kind of wabi sabi. Some people don't. It doesn't matter. Shoot what pleases you. If it pleases somebody else, great, but so what?
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: stamper on June 21, 2016, 09:14:36 am
Todd, for cat's sake, stop worrying about what's worth continuing. Shoot for yourself. If YOU think it's worth continuing then it's worth continuing. I happen to like this kind of wabi sabi. Some people don't. It doesn't matter. Shoot what pleases you. If it pleases somebody else, great, but so what?

Agreed.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Bruce Cox on June 21, 2016, 10:58:44 am
+2 

I rambled on about what I would do mainly to show I found it interesting.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 21, 2016, 11:25:25 am
EVERYONE: THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the input. I am going to ponder for a while and re-visit other capture angles. It may be the viewer's elevation that I wish I could have had that is keeping it from grabbing me. I will keep working on it. thank you.  And thank you Russ
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: brandtb on June 21, 2016, 12:45:54 pm
I think the subject is potentially interesting - I don't think these shots get to it though - needs to be explored further. I would look at shooting some of the elements straight on with a long lens and compress some of the elements, textures, etc. together  /B
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 21, 2016, 12:49:12 pm
I think it is reasonable to assume what he posted is what he intended? Do you think he posted something that he didn't intend?

What I was asking is what was his artistic intent.  What was he trying to capture from an artistic/emotional/storytelling/... point of view.

It is harder to critique somone's photograph if you don't know what they were trying to capture.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 21, 2016, 01:16:35 pm
A re-work. Getting closer I think
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 21, 2016, 01:26:37 pm
The last one is much better, no contest.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 02:31:31 pm
Context often helps.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 03:54:15 pm
I like the more context version too. Interesting subject!
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 21, 2016, 05:03:09 pm
I like the more context version too. Interesting subject!
Another vote for context.
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: David Eckels on June 21, 2016, 05:28:45 pm
The last one is much better, no contest.
+1
Title: Re: Do you think this is worth continuing with?
Post by: Bruce Cox on June 21, 2016, 07:55:48 pm
+2 again