Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on June 20, 2016, 03:06:07 pm

Title: Understanding
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 20, 2016, 03:06:07 pm
Any suggestions to improve processing on this one?  Thanks, t
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: petermfiore on June 20, 2016, 04:45:14 pm
To me it's about center of interest...one subject.

Peter
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 20, 2016, 09:13:38 pm
To me it's about center of interest...one subject.

Peter
YEP! Thanks Peter
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: stamper on June 21, 2016, 03:24:31 am
The original for me because it looks like he is wondering if he can go in without permission. It tells a story. Sorry Peter, there isn't a story in your version.
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 21, 2016, 03:50:22 am
The original for me because it looks like he is wondering if he can go in without permission. It tells a story. Sorry Peter, there isn't a story in your version.

I agree. The only crop I'd suggest is a little off the left.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: philaitman on June 21, 2016, 04:23:04 am
I believe both crops have their place but convey different meanings.

As Stamper says the top one has a story. However in the second crop you have mystery, what is he wondering? What is he about to do?
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: petermfiore on June 21, 2016, 05:34:55 am
The original for me because it looks like he is wondering if he can go in without permission. It tells a story. Sorry Peter, there isn't a story in your version.

Stamper,
No need to be sorry...The version I suggested has the lone child in an endless sea of the unknown. For me, plenty of story. An implied narrative.

Peter
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 09:13:35 am
+1, emphatically.
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 21, 2016, 11:37:45 am
Thank you to everyone who commented. It is very helpful to me to see how different photographers see the same scene's potential differently. Thanks
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: brandtb on June 21, 2016, 12:43:49 pm
Todd - I think the composition is fairly interesting as it is, and the colors yellow and blue/purple - there is a liveliness to it that is nice. The image get's dull and leaden in the background, shadows/trees/part of ballon etc. Maybe you could pull it up a bit - especially the balloon - pull up shadows, +contrast - connect it to the boy and light in foreground a little more. /B
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 21, 2016, 02:33:16 pm
+1, emphatically.

+1 to which comment, Russ? As it stands, it could be read as your agreeing to a crop, and that surely can't be right.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: petermfiore on June 21, 2016, 02:35:55 pm
+1 to which comment, Russ? As it stands, it could be read as your agreeing to a crop, and that surely can't be right.

Jeremy

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL...

Peter
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 02:44:21 pm
That's a fair question, Jeremy. In this case I agree with Peter all the way. Of course I wish Todd had seen the kid's beaufitul absorption and focused on that. It's true I rarely crop -- except when I'm looking through the viewfinder -- but when it's time to fix it, it's time to fix it. Or, as Bill Clinton said when Dick Morris explained what was going to happen to him if he didn't change his approach: "You gotta do what you gotta do."
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 21, 2016, 05:09:10 pm
I can't remember disagreeing with both Peter and Russ in a single post, but here it is.

I prefer the original, uncropped post (or cropped slightly as Jeremy suggested).

Having both the undecided boy and the strange "attractive nuisance" in the same shot provides multiple potential story lines (a.k.a. "Ambiguity"), making it a stronger image.

-Eric

And for emphasis, I'll add here: "+1."
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 21, 2016, 06:18:53 pm
That's a fair question, Jeremy. In this case I agree with Peter all the way. Of course I wish Todd had seen the kid's beaufitul absorption and focused on that. It's true I rarely crop -- except when I'm looking through the viewfinder -- but when it's time to fix it, it's time to fix it. Or, as Bill Clinton said when Dick Morris explained what was going to happen to him if he didn't change his approach: "You gotta do what you gotta do."
ROFL
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: RSL on June 21, 2016, 06:43:06 pm
I can't remember disagreeing with both Peter and Russ in a single post, but here it is.

I prefer the original, uncropped post (or cropped slightly as Jeremy suggested).

Having both the undecided boy and the strange "attractive nuisance" in the same shot provides multiple potential story lines (a.k.a. "Ambiguity"), making it a stronger image.

-Eric

And for emphasis, I'll add here: "+1."

The problem, Eric, is that they're two completely different pictures. If the kid were somehow interacting with the attractive nuisance it might make a picture, but here there's a picture of an attractive nuisance and a picture of a kid and never the twain shall meet.
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 21, 2016, 10:43:28 pm
The problem, Eric, is that they're two completely different pictures. If the kid were somehow interacting with the attractive nuisance it might make a picture, but here there's a picture of an attractive nuisance and a picture of a kid and never the twain shall meet.
Ah, but the way I read it the kid is looking around and the suspense is in wondering when he is going to notice the attractive nuisance...
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: RSL on June 22, 2016, 09:24:01 am
But he's deliberately looking away. Looks as if he's already sized up the attractive nuisance and decided it isn't worth his attention. (Smart kid)
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 22, 2016, 11:17:37 am
Nah, he's just looking around to see if the Parental Patrol is watching to prevent him from heading over to the A N.

Wish I could post an image that would get this much comment!   ;)
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: RSL on June 22, 2016, 11:22:57 am
It has to be something that either causes an argument or brings on the croppers and PPers telling you how to screw up your picture.
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: petermfiore on June 22, 2016, 05:31:40 pm
It has to be something that either causes an argument or brings on the croppers and PPers telling you how to screw up your picture.
z

All I did was make a suggestion that the OP was asking for! Sorry.LOL :~)

Peter
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 22, 2016, 07:48:23 pm
Don't be sorry, Peter! Russ and I were simply play-fencing, like puppies fighting for fun.

All I was trying to do was to present a different view. I'm always pleased when I see something a bit differently from the way either you or Russ sees it, and I think different ways of reading images enriches the experience.

I will only disagree publicly with people that I respect a lot, like you and Russ.

Cheers,

Eric
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 25, 2016, 09:39:30 pm
Todd - I think the composition is fairly interesting as it is, and the colors yellow and blue/purple - there is a liveliness to it that is nice. The image get's dull and leaden in the background, shadows/trees/part of ballon etc. Maybe you could pull it up a bit - especially the balloon - pull up shadows, +contrast - connect it to the boy and light in foreground a little more. /B
Brandt-
Do you like this better? Orginally I had burned the backgroud a little on the assumption that doing so would bring more attention to the bright areas. Since it attracted your eye, I guess it actually did the oppposite: drew attention to what looked "off"?  Below is the shot without the darkening and a touch of +shadow.
Title: Re: Understanding
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 25, 2016, 09:43:33 pm
I prefer the new rendition.