Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 20, 2016, 02:58:11 pm

Title: standing firm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 20, 2016, 02:58:11 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: philaitman on June 21, 2016, 04:26:47 am
I'm a big fan of black negative space, but I'm not sure if the black beach adds anything to this -aside from required space to place the sea stack into a more pleasing position compositionally-
the black makes the bottom of the image feel too heavy. If there happened to be a little more detail in that area, just the odd trail of water it would change it's weight considerably.

Lovely light, perfect shutter speed for the water movement and a great sea stack.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: stamper on June 21, 2016, 09:24:03 am
I'm a big fan of black negative space, but I'm not sure if the black beach adds anything to this -aside from required space to place the sea stack into a more pleasing position compositionally-
the black makes the bottom of the image feel too heavy. If there happened to be a little more detail in that area, just the odd trail of water it would change it's weight considerably.

Lovely light, perfect shutter speed for the water movement and a great sea stack.

Nicely summed up.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 21, 2016, 01:39:29 pm
I'm a big fan of black negative space, but I'm not sure if the black beach adds anything to this -aside from required space to place the sea stack into a more pleasing position compositionally-
the black makes the bottom of the image feel too heavy. If there happened to be a little more detail in that area, just the odd trail of water it would change it's weight considerably.

Lovely light, perfect shutter speed for the water movement and a great sea stack.
I tend to agree.
However, I suspect this was taken near Vik, where the beach is indeed very black, so It might be hard to pull any detail out of it.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 21, 2016, 03:03:56 pm
I tend to agree.
However, I suspect this was taken near Vik, where the beach is indeed very black, so It might be hard to pull any detail out of it.

You're right, Eric: the sand is very, very black. I've looked closely at the original and it's possible to bring a tiny amount of detail only by raising the sand to a mid to dark grey, which looks wrong.

Phil, I felt the black gave it an anchor, but I can see your point. Perhaps I'll remove a little of it. That was about the furthest the waves were coming that day.

Rajan, I thought this was Kirkjufjara beach but searching on the net makes me wonder if it's Reynisfjara, a bit further east. Do you know?

Jeremy
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: MattBurt on June 21, 2016, 03:51:11 pm
I think the black sand tells us where this is. Making it grey would be wrong so I say leave it even if it is a bit of an eye magnet.
The shutter speed was perfect and the monolith is an interesting subject.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: David Eckels on June 21, 2016, 05:35:53 pm
I know I am going to get sh*t for this, but you could try an 8x10 crop to minimize the black beach a little and also the uninteresting part of the sky. Otherwise, I do find the monolith and the your shutter speed viz the water very intriguing.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: stamper on June 22, 2016, 04:22:19 am
I know I am going to get sh*t for this, but you could try an 8x10 crop to minimize the black beach a little and also the uninteresting part of the sky. Otherwise, I do find the monolith and the your shutter speed viz the water very intriguing.

I am not against a crop but why an aspect crop instead of cropping to content?
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: philaitman on June 22, 2016, 04:44:33 am
Oh absolutely don't make the sand grey :)
I wasn't sure if there was a touch more texture hiding in there if there isn't, there isn't.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 22, 2016, 11:25:04 am
After several viewings I think the only thing I would change is to crop down from the top, eliminating all of the blank sky above the clouds.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: RSL on June 22, 2016, 02:46:04 pm
Then you could crop from the bottom to eliminate the ocean and you'd have a nice narrow cloud picture. Don't want to be left out of the post-processing suggestion torrent.
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 22, 2016, 03:40:47 pm
Then you could crop from the bottom to eliminate the ocean and you'd have a nice narrow cloud picture. Don't want to be left out of the post-processing suggestion torrent.

 ;)

Jeremy
Title: Re: standing firm
Post by: David Eckels on June 30, 2016, 08:17:51 am
I am not against a crop but why an aspect crop instead of cropping to content?
Hi Robert. No particular reason. I tend to like the 8x10 on vertical orientations because they don't look so tall and skinny. Personal preference only.