Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sdwilsonsct on June 19, 2016, 11:49:14 pm

Title: Rocks, B&W
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 19, 2016, 11:49:14 pm
I have been struggling with these images for a long time, trying to get somewhere in colour. Reading Chuck Kimmerle's recent book has helped a lot.
Feedback welcome.
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: John Koerner on June 20, 2016, 12:10:19 am
Like 1 and 2 ... 3 seems a little OOF.

Especially like the 3D of number 2.
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 20, 2016, 03:36:06 am
I like Djúpallón a lot: the conversion really brings out the textures in the rock. Heimaey is less appealing: I wonder if you couldn't open up the shadows, so there's more to be seen in the rocks, and increase the drama in the sky.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 20, 2016, 04:21:58 am
My vote goes to #1, due to the different shapes of the "hills". Especially the one in the background is nice, enveloped in mist.
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 20, 2016, 09:42:59 am
I like Djúpallón a lot: the conversion really brings out the textures in the rock. Heimaey is less appealing: I wonder if you couldn't open up the shadows, so there's more to be seen in the rocks, and increase the drama in the sky.

Jeremy
I'm with Jeremy on this.
Except Ms. Bing seems to think Djúpalón has only one "l" in it. I haven't been there so I can't be sure.
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: graeme on June 20, 2016, 09:46:47 am
My vote goes to #1, due to the different shapes of the "hills". Especially the one in the background is nice, enveloped in mist.

+1
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: churly on June 20, 2016, 04:56:09 pm
IMO 2 is the stronger composition.  Kimmerle`s book is interesting.  As might be expected his take is different than most of the PS masters. Unfortunately his blog has gone quiet for some months.  I enjoyed it partly because of his push back on convention and repetition.
Chuck
Title: Re: Rocks, B&W
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 21, 2016, 12:34:27 am
Thanks to all for the comments. Here's Heimaey opened up a little more (probably needed for the print) and sharpened.
Note the tiny bird-hunters' house at the top near the right.