Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: luxborealis on June 19, 2016, 08:00:33 pm
-
I'm here in Iceland with 23 of my students. Before leaving I invested in two things...
- a Sony RX10iii; and
- a MeFoto RoadTrip tripod.
All I can say is FANTASTIC!
I wrote earlier about having purchased a Lumix FZ1000. Well, when I saw the specs on the RX10iii, it was a no-brainer: I sold the Lumix to buy the Sony.
The difference between the two in handling and IQ is clearly noticeable from the first shot. The lens is simply amazing - sharper than the alternative AF-S Nikkor 28-300 (an alternative for "all-in-one travel, that is), fast, tack sharp through the full range, and adequately stabilized. The EVF is like looking through a pentaprism and the way Sony has incorporated a live Zebra pattern (with options of 90% to 100%+) when composing, must be the best feature for serious photography since sliced bread.
This is the single "best" travel camera I could ever have imagined. My D800E is not with me on the trip, but left for more serious photography when not on a travel schedule.
Photos to come.
-
I'm in Iceland too about to start a workshop. Maybe we'll bump into each other.
-
Terry,
I bought a Sony RX10 (the original model) for a trip to France last year and found it such a treat that I sold my Canon 5DII collection.
I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to the RX10III, but I'll try to hold off a while.
I look forward to seeing some of your Iceland pix once you get back.
-Eric
-
...the way Sony has incorporated a live Zebra pattern (with options of 90% to 100%+) when composing, must be the best feature for serious photography since sliced bread....
Amen!
Have a great trip!
-
I'm in Iceland too about to start a workshop. Maybe we'll bump into each other.
Well, if you see a grey-bearded guy leading a group of 23 students plus 4 teachers - that's me. We've been to Olavsvik, Heimay, Skaftafell, Vatnajokull and today hiked around Landmannalaugar (the road just opened), finishing the day with some time in a natural hot spring. Tomorrow, with mixed blessings of nice weather but hoardes of tourists, we're off to the Golden Circle. Gorgeous country!!
Here's one shot two days ago near Skaftafell.
-
Well, if you see a grey-bearded guy leading a group of 23 students plus 4 teachers - that's me. We've been to Olavsvik, Heimay, Skaftafell, Vatnajokull and today hiked around Landmannalaugar (the road just opened), finishing the day with some time in a natural hot spring. Tomorrow, with mixed blessings of nice weather but hoardes of tourists, we're off to the Golden Circle. Gorgeous country!!
Here's one shot two days ago near Skaftafell.
Good weather in Iceland is PRICELESS... it's something like a 17% chance of sun if I remember correctly.
-
Good weather in Iceland is PRICELESS... it's something like a 17% chance of sun if I remember correctly.
Depends on what you mean by "good", I suppose. My recent trip there taught me a lot of things, but perhaps the most important was that it's possible to get interesting photos in really bleak conditions, conditions in which previously I'd have stayed indoors, warm and able to feel my fingers, in the "certain" knowledge that nothing good would come of venturing outside.
Jeremy
-
Terry,
We are waiting for your photos ;)
Thierry
-
I've just re-posted the one I tried posting earlier. They say Iceland is well-connected, but we've had nothing but problems staying connected.
-
Terry,
We are waiting for your photos ;)
Thierry
Eagerly.
-
I've just re-posted the one I tried posting earlier. They say Iceland is well-connected, but we've had nothing but problems staying connected.
Well, we see it now, thanks!
Thierry
-
And it's a very fine one.
Do you always carry a rainbow in your gadget bag when travelling? ;)
-
And it's a very fine one.
Do you always carry a rainbow in your gadget bag when travelling? ;)
It's a filter I found on eBay. :)