Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: NickT on June 19, 2016, 06:38:28 pm

Title: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: NickT on June 19, 2016, 06:38:28 pm

A digital x-pan.

You won't be seeing an x-pan on the 22nd. In the future who knows, but I think it extremely unlikely.

Why? When the x-pan first came out you didn't have the stitching options that we have now so it was pretty unique (a baby 6X17). Now you can easily stitch if you want, or indeed crop into a high resolution chip if that's what you need. Also it's not as if anyone if making chips in this format, it's just too niche a market.

A re-badged something else.

No no and no. This is a totally new thing.

People have pointed out that Mr Oosting has a background in luxury products (Vertu) but that has no bearing on this thing.

And I agree that the Lunar/Stellar this was very badly done, this is nothing at all like that.

I'll say it again, I really do think the thing is a game changer. I thought so the minute I handled it.

Bring on the 22nd!
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: Theodoros on June 19, 2016, 06:50:26 pm

I'll say it again, I really do think the thing is a game changer. I thought so the minute I handled it.

Bring on the 22nd!


Lula used to be a nice place....  :o
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: Ken R on June 19, 2016, 08:39:25 pm
The rumor circulating right now is that it's a Moto Z (X) (yes, the smartphone) Accessory. Snaps right in.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: jduncan on June 19, 2016, 08:56:07 pm
The rumor circulating right now is that it's a Moto Z (X) (yes, the smartphone) Accessory. Snaps right in.

I will not be surprised if you are right, and of that I am afraid.

Best regards
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: hcubell on June 19, 2016, 10:03:49 pm
A digital x-pan.

You won't be seeing an x-pan on the 22nd. In the future who knows, but I think it extremely unlikely.

Why? When the x-pan first came out you didn't have the stitching options that we have now so it was pretty unique (a baby 6X17). Now you can easily stitch if you want, or indeed crop into a high resolution chip if that's what you need. Also it's not as if anyone if making chips in this format, it's just too niche a market.

A re-badged something else.

No no and no. This is a totally new thing.

People have pointed out that Mr Oosting has a background in luxury products (Vertu) but that has no bearing on this thing.

And I agree that the Lunar/Stellar this was very badly done, this is nothing at all like that.

I'll say it again, I really do think the thing is a game changer. I thought so the minute I handled it.

Bring on the 22nd!

Thanks, Nick. Hang in there and please do your best to ignore the fools who can't restrain themselves. You aren't from the US, but did you ever hear of Beavis and Butthead? They have morphed and now giggle together on the LuLa Medium Format Forum.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: Pics2 on June 20, 2016, 12:28:11 pm
Thanks, Nick. Hang in there and please do your best to ignore the fools who can't restrain themselves. You aren't from the US, but did you ever hear of Beavis and Butthead? They have morphed and now giggle together on the LuLa Medium Format Forum.
Spot on :). Despite their giggling I visited the forum for valuable information they always have. But, now, not even that here. There's way more useful info about new Hasselblad on mirrorlessrumors.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: hasselbladfan on June 20, 2016, 01:29:29 pm

I'll say it again, I really do think the thing is a game changer. I thought so the minute I handled it.


Come on, Nick, you can tell us.

We will keep it quiet. We are among friends. 
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: BobShaw on June 21, 2016, 03:28:09 am
Frankly I think  a digital panoramic camera would be a game changer. Stitching is just a way to produce a wide image when you don't have a 6x17 (meaning something better than stitching).
You can't stitch waves and trees move between shots.
That's why Ken Duncan for example still carries a 6x17.

After saying that, no, I don't think there one will be coming from Hasselblad. They have too much invested in the H.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: synn on June 21, 2016, 03:41:20 am
Flirting with the limits of the NDA, one question to Nick.
Will I be able to use my Mamiya 645 lenses on it with a simple adapter? :)
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on June 21, 2016, 03:46:48 am
Hi,

It mostly works quite well...

Best regards
Erik


You can't stitch waves and trees move between shots.

Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on June 21, 2016, 03:50:25 am
Flirting with the limits of the NDA, one question to Nick.
Will I be able to use my Mamiya 645 lenses on it with a simple adapter? :)

Hi Sandeep,

I'm sure Nick can answer you tomorrow ... ;)

My guess is it's a 35mm camera (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/Smileys/default/shocked.gif), so with a proper adapter and assuming a short flange distance, it might accommodate your Mamiya 645 lenses.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: synn on June 21, 2016, 04:10:46 am
Hi Sandeep,

I'm sure Nick can answer you tomorrow ... ;)

My guess is it's a 35mm camera (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/Smileys/default/shocked.gif), so with a proper adapter and assuming a short flange distance, it might accommodate your Mamiya 645 lenses.

Cheers,
Bart

Hah indeed, we will know very soon.
Personally, I hope it is 44x33 and not a 35mm camera. if I wanted a 35mm mirrorless, I would have gone for an A7R2 months ago.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: ErikKaffehr on June 21, 2016, 04:42:02 am
Hi,

Regarding the question of adapters, I would guess that we are going to see manual adapters pretty soon. Electrical adapters may take some time if reverse engineering is needed. The may be IP issues, too.

Best regards
Erik


Hah indeed, we will know very soon.
Personally, I hope it is 44x33 and not a 35mm camera. if I wanted a 35mm mirrorless, I would have gone for an A7R2 months ago.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: NickT on June 21, 2016, 04:44:43 am
Flirting with the limits of the NDA, one question to Nick.
Will I be able to use my Mamiya 645 lenses on it with a simple adapter? :)

We are about 24 hours away, I can't wait until we can talk about this thing.
Title: Re: What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)
Post by: synn on June 21, 2016, 04:45:53 am
Manual adapters are just fine, I don't need AF or even matrix metering for the type of use I have in mind.