Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: skierd on June 17, 2016, 03:31:02 am
-
I'm lucky enough to live 2 hours north of Denali National Park, and get to/have to travel there for work every Thursday and/or Friday depending on the time of year. I pretty much make it standard to drive in as far as allowed on the park road and just about always have my Pentax riding shotgun.
Some days it's miserably cold, cloudy, etc, but some days I get lucky too.
(https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7359/26630111373_8846b24f15_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Gzdhkg)
Denali (https://flic.kr/p/Gzdhkg) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
From earlier today
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7332/27688870056_0183dfdfd9_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/JbLGpj)
Denali June 2016 web- (https://flic.kr/p/JbLGpj) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
(https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7746/27648312411_ec930914ba_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/J8bQ2z)
Denali June 2016 web-2164 (https://flic.kr/p/J8bQ2z) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
If it's not against the rules, I'll occasionally update and add to this thread as time goes on, possibly with flora
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7633/27444752210_63081e8cef_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/HPcwEW)
Denali June 2016 web-2151 (https://flic.kr/p/HPcwEW) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
and fauna
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7296/26757732994_f9b166c8a8_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/GLunN3)
Denali 2016 web-1142 (https://flic.kr/p/GLunN3) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
as they see fit to find their way in to my viewfinder.
Comments and criticism is always welcome. Sharing your own memories of DNP are welcome too, or if there are other locals your shots and advice.
-
A couple of good images here.
-
Lucky you! #1: I might shave off a bit of sky to emphasize the structure in the mountains.
-
Love the first one and the moose!
-
Today's addition.
(https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7214/27593795620_58cfe30835_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/J3nq5U)
Nenana River at Mount Healy (https://flic.kr/p/J3nq5U) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
Not quite the park, but on the way if you're coming from Fairbanks
(https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7626/27807057515_b32963dfed_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Jndrq8)
Nenana Rail Station, Alaska (https://flic.kr/p/Jndrq8) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
Moose calves near Riley Creek, orphaned in early June when a park visitor shot their mother inside the park boundaries near the entrance. No arrests have been made, yet. The calves probably wont last the summer...
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7261/27770393792_0957c78f94_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/JiYwyY)
Orphan Moose web-2212 (https://flic.kr/p/JiYwyY) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
(https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7389/27593790690_ec8ef1c263_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/J3noBU)
Orphan Moose web-2220 (https://flic.kr/p/J3noBU) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
-
The first image of the Moose is very nice
-
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7610/27885054840_280ec28792_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Ju7ciA)
Mountain spine on Stampede Road (https://flic.kr/p/Ju7ciA) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
or black and white
(https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7522/27551112043_2e59e9216c_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/HYADKa)
Mountain spine on Stampede Road (https://flic.kr/p/HYADKa) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
At the end of the Stampede Road, for cars anyway. Further on in to the wild requires a 4x4, atv, or good hiking boots. Maybe some common sense too.
-
David: These images are really interesting; all of them. The vistas are stunning, maybe you should consider working for the Tourism office. I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way: I am envious of your ability to go that park on a regular basis. Alaska must be such an interesting place to photograph and thanks for highlighting this through your postings. The young moose look healthy. It will be a miracle if they survive to adulthood as they probably do not have sufficient skill and stamina to evade predators. The latest landscape picture ("Mountain Spine on Stampede Road") is interesting and beautiful and as a photograph has much potential (if you ever consider selling your work). I have one minor comment:
Look at the colour version. If you divide the picture in half by drawing a line vertically in the middle of the photo, compare and contrast the shades of blue/cyan on the far left vs. the right. On the right-hand side the colours on the mountain seem perfect on the far left, there seems to be a slight predominance of blue/cyan. I say "seems: because everyone's monitor is different and maybe what I am seeing indicates something about my monitor. However, if you see this too, when processing, you may wish to investigate this and just very slightly reduce the blue/cyan. But there is a risk in doing so, you may negatively affect the blues/greens in the rest of the photo. Still, in the photo the mix of clouds and mountains is stunning.
This is not a criticism, just my experience as I have gone back and forth between both versions of the photo: In the colour photograph I notice subtle things in hue and, patterns of shadow on the mountains. In the B&W photo the clouds capture my attention. Either version has its advantages.
Keep up the great work!
Sean
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7610/27885054840_280ec28792_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/Ju7ciA)
Mountain spine on Stampede Road (https://flic.kr/p/Ju7ciA) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
or black and white
(https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7522/27551112043_2e59e9216c_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/HYADKa)
Mountain spine on Stampede Road (https://flic.kr/p/HYADKa) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr
At the end of the Stampede Road, for cars anyway. Further on in to the wild requires a 4x4, atv, or good hiking boots. Maybe some common sense too.
-
Sean, thank you for the critique!
Savage River plain, fall in Denali National Park
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8409/29602249072_ee3565fc7a_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/M6RgjG)
Savage River, Fall (https://flic.kr/p/M6RgjG) by David Dawson (https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/), on Flickr