Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: LGeb on June 16, 2016, 11:54:11 am

Title: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: LGeb on June 16, 2016, 11:54:11 am
I'm looking for a paper with a warm tone base. For pigment inks, ideally PK. Not interested in RC or papers with OBAs (counter productive with a warmer paper). I'm trying to match some older darkroom prints on Forte Polywarmtone.

I know of Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone, and I''ll probably order a sample since I like the Harman Gloss Baryta.

Any other choices?

Also, does anyone have a LAB reading for Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone? LAB values for other options would also be appreciated.
Title: Re: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: howardm on June 16, 2016, 07:06:02 pm
Also look into Innova IFA19 or 45 warmtone cotton gloss.  It's my favorite warm paper.

The Harman warmtone has OBAs and has a b* of 2.4  (per spectrumviz.jar, courtesy Mr. Dinkla)

Title: Re: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on June 17, 2016, 05:26:10 am
I'm looking for a paper with a warm tone base. For pigment inks, ideally PK. Not interested in RC or papers with OBAs (counter productive with a warmer paper). I'm trying to match some older darkroom prints on Forte Polywarmtone.

I know of Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone, and I''ll probably order a sample since I like the Harman Gloss Baryta.

Any other choices?

Also, does anyone have a LAB reading for Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone? LAB values for other options would also be appreciated.

In SpectrumViz I have added silver halide paper samples too but the range so far is limited to Ilford/Harman qualities. If users are switching from silver halide to digital inkjet prints the spectral plots of both types at least can tell whether the paper whites are identical. I used a fresh Ilford/Harman sample book to measure the whites. If I can get more sample books from silver halide paper manufacturers I can extend the range. I understand that they can not be recently made for all qualities. The mail address in The Netherlands is at the SpectrumViz page, link below.

I have also added paper white spectral plots for some offset papers. Did so on request from a London based (photo) book printer.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
April 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Title: Re: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: LGeb on June 17, 2016, 09:01:14 am
Thanks. I hadn't seen spectrumviz.jar before. It looks like a great resource.
Title: Re: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: deanwork on June 17, 2016, 06:56:13 pm
The Harmon Warmtone Baryta is especially nice when using neutral bw inks on it. The result is a very dimensional tonal split between warm high values and cooler shadows. It is very subtle and very different to play with.

j



Thanks. I hadn't seen spectrumviz.jar before. It looks like a great resource.
Title: Re: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: unesco on June 19, 2016, 03:53:02 am
As for strong warmtone you can also try Harman Gloss Art Fibre Warmtone.
For natural warmtone, HmH Rag Baryta or Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss are worth trying and both of very high quality.
If you want to experiment Sihl Masterclass Satin Baryta has very analogue look, especially if you print directly B&W using QTR or similar. It is not easy paper but when you cope with it, results are unique.
As for MK papers, for warm smooth surface I use Sihl Masterclass Smooth Matt Cotton.
However, for me, Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone is the best paper for B&W reproduction (if gloss is demanded or acceptable).
Title: Re: Warm Tone Papers
Post by: Sbarroso on June 19, 2016, 04:42:09 pm
Another warm paper without OBAs is the Hahnemühle Baryta Satin (not to mix up with the Silk or other names). I like it very much, although for its surface.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk