Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Kiwi Paul on June 15, 2016, 04:34:20 pm

Title: Outcrop
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 15, 2016, 04:34:20 pm
This rocky outcrop at Collieston pier in NE Scotland made for an interesting photo.

How many votes for a B&W version?  ;)

(https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7429/27620105541_b375315af5_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/J5Gg7e)
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 15, 2016, 04:55:15 pm
The color version is beautiful. It might work just as nice in b&w, but I'd need to see it first.
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 15, 2016, 05:46:25 pm
The color version is beautiful. It might work just as nice in b&w, but I'd need to see it first.
I agree.
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: John Koerner on June 15, 2016, 05:59:06 pm
Would like to see a horizontally-composed version as well ...
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: NancyP on June 15, 2016, 06:17:14 pm
Very nice. I agree that a horizontal view might be interesting as well, but this vertical view emphasizes the vastness of sea and sky (always an attraction for this landlubber 1000 miles from the sea).
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: John Koerner on June 15, 2016, 06:33:22 pm
Very nice. I agree that a horizontal view might be interesting as well, but this vertical view emphasizes the vastness of sea and sky (always an attraction for this landlubber 1000 miles from the sea).

I think the vertical composition over-emphasizes the sky and minimizes the sea ... I think a horizontally-composed shot would better-render the view (IMHO).
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 16, 2016, 04:11:03 am
Could give a good B&W, but it would lose the slate-like aspect of the sea and sky. I think that the horizon is slightly tilted to the right, just a little bit, but in such compositions, it is annoying, once you note it:)
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: stamper on June 16, 2016, 07:32:01 am
As it is a fine image and no quibbles. The slope maybe the curvature of the earth?
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Colorado David on June 16, 2016, 07:42:43 am
Nice.  Could you shoot it again with a Big Stopper ND?
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 16, 2016, 02:41:46 pm
Nice.  Could you shoot it again with a Big Stopper ND?

My thought exactly. And I would like at least to see a B&W version.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 16, 2016, 04:08:56 pm
Nice.  Could you shoot it again with a Big Stopper ND?

Thanks,

It was done with a 6 stop ND on a Voigtlander 12mm lens, I don't have a 10 stop ND to fit that lens.
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Kiwi Paul on June 16, 2016, 04:10:05 pm
Here's a B&W version.

(https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7299/27613523652_71a1792175_b.jpg)                                                   (https://flic.kr/p/J57wxo)
Title: Re: Outcrop
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 24, 2016, 02:49:17 pm
Just seen this, for some reason. I think it works well, but you have quite a halo around the most distant bit of rockery which doesn't seem to have been present in the original.

Jeremy