Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: Neil Williams on June 14, 2016, 10:13:04 am
-
Guys
I am planning a 10 day photo trip by car in Switzerland and Northern Italy starting in Zurich and finishing in Geneva. This will be my first time in Switzerland, so any tips about driving on the funny side of the road and must see places would be much appreciated.
I'm planning on arriving in Zurich on the 10th July and leaving Geneva on the 20th
Up to now I haven't booked any hotels, and I'm thinking around $200 a night for a budget
Thanks in advance for your recommendations
Neil
-
I'm envious. Spectacular locations most anywhere.
If you want some ideas on specific locations, I can highly recommend the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The drive from Zurich to Interlaken is, in itself, spectacular. I can recommend taking the north shore route along the Brienzerzee to get views across the lake to the Alps proper.
In Lauterbrunnen, there are various stupendous views from the valley floor, especially towards Stechelberg, plus Trummelbach Falls; hiking above Wengen on the east side; around Murren on the west side; and above Stechelburg at the end of the valley. You could easily spend 10 days just in this region.
Enjoy your trip!
-
The Italian part of Switzerland, the Ticino, is pretty nice, and it will probably be a bit less crowded than other areas. By Northern Italy, I'm assuming you mean the Alto Adige (Südtirol) region where the Dolomite mountains are located. IMHO, they offer more interesting photo opportunities than the Swiss Alps, especially if you're up for some hiking. The nice thing about the Dolomites is that you can take chair lifts from many locations that get you to the higher elevations where the walking is actually pretty easy. There are some posts here with great Dolomiti photography. Trento and Verona are both delightful, although the latter will be crowded.
Merrill
-
So far as Switzerlan is concerned, I recommend train rather than car. Driving wastes a lot of time and though possible and spectular to drive, the train provides access that cars do not. You will see from the train but is important to get out in field.
As luxborealis suggested, the Luatternbrunnen valey is wonderful. But you can and should consider it to be the gateway to the Jungfrau region. It is important to hotel right in this region, so that your access does not require an hour train ride, while wasting the best light.
Access to the sights is via cog railroad (e.g Kleine Sheidegg and Jungfrau) or cable car, bus or finicular. Walking can be as strenuous, or not strenuous, as you want. The Swiss walking trails make the US system look like a joke, It is expensive though! You can usually take a lift up to elevation and then walk aroun the mountains on farily level trails, if that is what you want.
Wengen is a nice place to stay,a small village perched above Lautterbrunnen. No cars! You travel from Zurich airport to Interlaken, on to Lauterbrunnen and then by cog railroad to Wengen. Much easier than it sounds, takes 3-4 hours. Once you are there you can take easy walks through the Lauterbrunnen valley. Not to be missed is the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheideg. Monch, Eiger and the Jungfrau tower above this flat walk (elevation about 6000 ft). You will better understand the term Rocky Mountain High after this intoxicating walk. If walking is not your thing, there is the trip to the top of the Jungfrau or the Schilthorn, the villages of Murren and Gimelwald, on and on.
Photography is both rewarding and impossible. Easy because every scene is a postcard. Impossible because everything is a postcard.
I am not sure how to combine with Italy. Perhaps you can continue by train to Italy and then rent a car on arrival. Of course that must be booked in advance. Perhaps others will comment
-
+1 on forgetting the car idea. Get a Swiss Pass; it'll get you everywhere: postal buses up into the remote high hamlets, all trains, and lake steamers.
As for a car in Northern Italy, same thing, buses from Bolzano and Trento can get you to good jumping-off locations in the mountains.
-
Its a lot more driving but we like driving, so our very flexible trip will now follow this path and we will book as we go so here is what I am thinking;
First two nights in Zurich (hotel Montana Zurich already booked)
Day 3 Stevilo Pass 4 1/2 hr drive (No hotel Booked)
Day 4 & 5 Dolomites......4 1/2 hr drive (No Hotel Booked)
Day 6 & 7 in Venice ............ 2 1/2hr drive (Hotel Booked)
Day 8 in or around Como............ 3hr drive (No Hotel Booked)
Day 9 Lucerne...........4 hrs drive (Hotel Booked)
Day 10 Genava (Hotel Bristol Booked) 3hrs drive
Day 11 Nigeria :( :(
-
One idea is to drive over one of the Alpine passes instead of using the tunnel. I think it was the St Gotthard which I did x years ago and I remember it was a great drive.
-
That’s a tight schedule, you might want to add some additional time for heavy traffic. Around Milan, that would be the norm and it could take some time at the Italian highway toll booths too (you can pay with your credit card).
In the greater Como, Lugano and Locarno area alone, I often spend many days and seldom visit the same locations twice. A good friend lives just outside Locarno, so I always have a place to stay. Visiting sites off the highway will take time and the holiday season has begun here in Europe too.
John’s suggestion to drive the St. Gotthard pass is great – the tunnel is long and boring.
Enjoy your holiday!
-
Its a lot more driving but we like driving, so our very flexible trip will now follow this path and we will book as we go so here is what I am thinking;
First two nights in Zurich (hotel Montana Zurich already booked)
Day 3 Stevilo Pass 4 1/2 hr drive (No hotel Booked)
Day 4 & 5 Dolomites......4 1/2 hr drive (No Hotel Booked)
Day 6 & 7 in Venice ............ 2 1/2hr drive (Hotel Booked)
Day 8 in or around Como............ 3hr drive (No Hotel Booked)
Day 9 Lucerne...........4 hrs drive (Hotel Booked)
Day 10 Genava (Hotel Bristol Booked) 3hrs drive
Day 11 Nigeria :( :(
This trip plan has some serious flaws, just my two cents. First, spending two days in Zurich seems excessive. It is a nice Swiss city but IMO nothing more. It is not the essence of Switzerland. Second, you cover too much ground. I did a similar road trip in Switzerland many rears ago. Following the tour buses over the switchbacks, the endless traffic and the distant views of the mountains, I returned thinking I had seen Switzerland when I hadn't. Third, while keeping the basic ideas of your route I suggest driving from Zurich to Interlaken where I would spend two nights and then continue to the Lake Como area, with stops as desired. After seeing the Como area you can then proceed directly to Geneva.
Interlaken is the gateway to the Bernese Oberland, arguably the most scenic part of Switzerland. I suggest taking an all day excursion to the Jungfrau, if the weather cooperates. Don't underestimate the time it takes to drive the mountain passes; you will not be alone on the road.
-
This trip plan has some serious flaws, just my two cents. First, spending two days in Zurich seems excessive. It is a nice Swiss city but IMO nothing more. It is not the essence of Switzerland. Second, you cover too much ground. I did a similar road trip in Switzerland many rears ago. Following the tour buses over the switchbacks, the endless traffic and the distant views of the mountains, I returned thinking I had seen Switzerland when I hadn't. Third, while keeping the basic ideas of your route I suggest driving from Zurich to Interlaken where I would spend two nights and then continue to the Lake Como area, with stops as desired. After seeing the Como area you can then proceed directly to Geneva.
Interlaken is the gateway to the Bernese Oberland, arguably the most scenic part of Switzerland. I suggest taking an all day excursion to the Jungfrau, if the weather cooperates. Don't underestimate the time it takes to drive the mountain passes; you will not be alone on the road.
Hotels in Zurich, Venice, Geneva and Lucern are already booked so I'm committed to this route :_)
-
Don't miss Mantua.
-
If you are an EU citizen and are renting a hire car in Switzerland, you might have problems crossing the Italian border. See this article (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/may/28/eu-citizens-car-hire-switzerland) for more information. You might have to request a car with EU plates, which should be booked in advance to ensure availability.
As for your trip plan, I agree with some of the previous comments. You will be seeing much Autobahn / autostrada / autoroute but might miss some of the more interesting locations along the way. On the other hand, if this is meant as a trip for scouting locations for a longer stay in the future, then I suppose that would be OK.
On your way back from Lago di Como towards Lucerne, I would also recommend driving through the Gotthardpass to avoid the tunnel. If you have the time or if the pass is congested, I would recommend the longer two passes option: first the Nufenenpass and then Furkapass (to see where Goldfinger was shot at...).
Cheers,
Fabien
-
If you are an EU citizen and are renting a hire car in Switzerland, you might have problems crossing the Italian border. See this article (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/may/28/eu-citizens-car-hire-switzerland) for more information. You might have to request a car with EU plates, which should be booked in advance to ensure availability.
As for your trip plan, I agree with some of the previous comments. You will be seeing much Autobahn / autostrada / autoroute but might miss some of the more interesting locations along the way. On the other hand, if this is meant as a trip for scouting locations for a longer stay in the future, then I suppose that would be OK.
On your way back from Lago di Como towards Lucerne, I would also recommend driving through the Gotthardpass to avoid the tunnel. If you have the time or if the pass is congested, I would recommend the longer two passes option: first the Nufenenpass and then Furkapass (to see where Goldfinger was shot at...).
Cheers,
Fabien
Yea
I've talked to Budget already about it, I'm from the UK but resident of Malaysia, and hold a Malaysian drivers license, my wife will be with me as well and she is Thai and holds an international drivers license Budget says we will be okay........I hope so
-
Do you want to spend the night at Stelvio Pass? (Having been there, I can't say that I'd recommend it.)
The biggest mistake, IMHO, is staying in Lucerne.
I don't want to stay at Stelvio pass either but the driving time from Zurich to Stelio pass is ~5 hours, and another 4 plus hours to Dolomite
-
Hy from Lucerne, Switzerland and a special hy for dreed: "The biggest mistake, IMHO, is staying in Lucerne." 8)
Here some very, very beautiful places in the swiss Alps:
http://www.pilatus.ch !!
http://www.rosenlauischlucht.ch !!!
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimselpass !!
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Media/Attractions/Gornergrat !!!
Google: Verzascatal !!!
Google: Giessbachfälle !
Google: Brienzer Rothorn !!
Google: Gletsch !
Google: Lucerne !
Google: Niwärch Suone
There are many more and for the mountains good weather is a must.
BTW, Stelvio is not a place to go, if you are around there, go to the Gavia and Vivione Pass ....
From Como to Lucerne in 3 h? Hahahahah!
IMHO, I would cancel Venice, if the weather is good, it's too far away, even it's very beautiful.
Regards,
Ben
-
From Como to Lucerne in 3 h? Hahahahah!
Ben
You think its more and if so how much longer???
Thanks
Neil
-
BTW, Stelvio is not a place to go, if you are around there, go to the Gavia and Vivione Pass ....
I've booked Bormio
-
Ben
You think its more and if so how much longer???
Thanks
Neil
Sorry for my late answer, I had to do a lot of landscape and architectural work because there were the first few sunny days
this spring/summer in Switzerland.
I think the trip will take at least one hour more depending on the traffic jam in Airolo....
Yesterday I was at Gornergrat where you have wonderful views to the highest summits in the Swiss Alps....
-
for the mountains good weather is a must.
BTW, Stelvio is not a place to go
I disagree with both statements, particularly with the first one.
-
I disagree with both statements, particularly with the first one.
Some people like rain, some people like the sun,
some people like crowded places, some people like quiet places......
-
I agree.
P.S. The Stelvio isn't only a crowded place. It is also an important historic road, a masterpiece of the road engineering of the early XIX century. (And the view of the Ortler is magnificent in any case)
-
Guys
I am planning a 10 day photo trip by car in Switzerland and Northern Italy starting in Zurich and finishing in Geneva. This will be my first time in Switzerland, so any tips about driving on the funny side of the road and must see places would be much appreciated.
I'm planning on arriving in Zurich on the 10th July and leaving Geneva on the 20th
Up to now I haven't booked any hotels, and I'm thinking around $200 a night for a budget
Thanks in advance for your recommendations
Neil
I would recommend to not spread yourself too thin and go to too many locations. I have done photo workshops in the Dolomites June and October since 2010 and now 16 workshops. So clearly I'm in favour of the Dolomites. You can browse my Dolomites pictures where a lot fo the them have names of where they are shot so if you like to search for the locations you can find many of them. Dramatic weather is my favourite and some sun is needed for the best experiences and you can only hope for that, of course. This June was very dramatic weather but mornings were mostly great. beginning of July is fine as tourists have not yet really come. August should be avoided. Remember both wide and long lenses. A lot of patience as well as it takes a lot of time to move around the mountains. The advice on taking the cable cars: Yes, is useful if you have lots of clouds, but they run typically from mornings at about 8 or 9 and then close again at 17:00. So therefore you will not get a sunrise od sunset unless you walk down again or up. You can in some locations stay in a refugio during the night. I did this myself at http://www.rifugiolagazuoi.com and this was a really nice experience. There are also other locations. You need to book in advance in many locations at that time of year. Good luck!