Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Cornfield on June 12, 2016, 05:47:24 pm

Title: Stirling Castle
Post by: Cornfield on June 12, 2016, 05:47:24 pm
The latest addition to my portfolio from last week.

(http://www.frankcornfield.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/20160601-800_3898-e.jpg)
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: John Koerner on June 12, 2016, 09:43:10 pm
It's a nice image, but I think the green bushes dominate too much minimizing the magnificence of the castle.

I think if you cropped the bottom portion, precisely where the slope ends at the left side, the subject (i.e., castle) would be far more impactful.

That's my $0.02
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: thierrylegros396 on June 13, 2016, 02:31:09 am
It's a nice image, but I think the green bushes dominate too much minimizing the magnificence of the castle.

I think if you cropped the bottom portion, precisely where the slope ends at the left side, the subject (i.e., castle) would be far more impactful.

That's my $0.02

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 13, 2016, 04:11:45 am
I don't mind the amount of greenery. I do think it could be cropped from the right, to remove the rather unattractive, unlit building there.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: francois on June 13, 2016, 05:53:30 am
Vegetation is fine and I like the warm light on the castle.
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: stamper on June 13, 2016, 06:25:09 am
Yes there is a crop somewhere. It might take a bit of time to find it. When you do you will have a fine image. :)
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 14, 2016, 04:11:21 am
I like it almost as it is. I agree with a bit of cropping from the right. Not from the bottom, otherwise, we lose the "hill part" of "castle atop a hill".
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: Cornfield on June 14, 2016, 01:27:44 pm
Many thanks for the replies.

The framing of the shot was intentional as I was supplying the image to a client for use on an exhibition stand and needed copy space below the castle.  I probably will crop a little for my use but I kind of like having the wall in the field at the bottom as a visual reference.  I also shot a timelapse sequence at the same time but not processed it yet.
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 14, 2016, 02:00:31 pm
It's a nice image, but I think the green bushes dominate too much minimizing the magnificence of the castle.

I think if you cropped...

I think you are right, John, about the green dominance, yet I think the solution is different than cropping: the greenery is too... well, green (i.e., saturated) and contrasty for the type of light overall. Tone it down and the castle will dominate.
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: John Koerner on June 14, 2016, 02:59:13 pm
I think you are right, John, about the green dominance, yet I think the solution is different than cropping: the greenery is too... well, green (i.e., saturated) and contrasty for the type of light overall. Tone it down and the castle will dominate.

Interesting solution, especially relevant in light of Cornfield's need for the space, given his assignment.
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: Peter McLennan on June 15, 2016, 12:49:44 am
Agree on the green. Maybe use a vibrance adjustment layer.
No crop. Good framing.
Beautiful image.
Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: thierrylegros396 on June 15, 2016, 07:44:38 am
2 possible crop  ;) ;)

Title: Re: Stirling Castle
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 15, 2016, 10:36:01 am
2 possible crop  ;) ;)

The "right crop" is exactly what I had in mind.

Jeremy