Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: John Daniel on June 09, 2016, 05:39:03 pm
-
Hi everyone,
I have been fortunate to explore the great bear rainforest twice. I did shoot a lot of photographs and did a few film takes. This place is out of this world in terms of nature and beauty.
And to remind me of this treasure, I have done a little movie with slides, animations and film.
(http://www.naturephotographycanada.com/img/s/v-2/p677789927-2.jpg)
(http://www.naturephotographycanada.com/img/s9/v17/p562534143-2.jpg)
(http://www.naturephotographycanada.com/img/s6/v143/p580949821-2.jpg)
And the video link:
And the video file (https://youtu.be/b9qjrBa4lYA)
Let me know what you think.
JD
-
Great shots, John!
How long was your lens (or how close did you get to those bruins) ?
-
I was using 2 lenses on the spirit bear site: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II and the 200-400mm f/4L IS+1.4x
Sometimes I was at 200mm, sometimes using the 200-400mm at 400mm with the internal 1.4X on. Sometimes I was using an external 1.4x extender.(784mm)
The shot with the fish was taken at 200mm ISO 1600. It is dark in the wood and I shot regularly at ISOs between 3,000 and 6,000 ISO and a few times at ISO 10,000 (some are included in the video you can see using the link in the post.)
The shot with the Grizzly scratching neck is with the 70-200mm on a 1D IV + a 1.4 (280mm). The swimming Grizzly with the 300mm f/2.8L IS on a 1D IV.
I was using mostly the 1DX in the forest. I also used the 5D III as a backup and second camera (you don't change lenses when it's raining and there, it's pouring...)
Hope this help,
PS. I as close to the spirit bear: 30 to 40 feet. It was quite a trill. We had great guides (native tribe). The nearest I got from a spirit was 5 or 6 feet (I was like a statue. There was no real problem because the food market was open=salmon river :) right next to us)
JD
-
Reall enjoy your work from this wonderful location. I have added this to travel locations folder.
What time of year were you there?
How accessible are the locations where the bears were?
Do you need a guide to get close as you did?
Regards
FC
-
Great shots John and welcome to LULA!! Love the video on YouTube as well!!
Kevin in CT
-
Thank you Kevin..
The one in the middle has been part of an exhibition at the National Nature Museum (Ottawa)
Cornfield, you cannot go there by yourself. Guide and board, $4k + price of plane to Prince Rupert or Terrace.
It is a native territory.
JD
-
Wonderful.
-
Thank you Paulo.
JD