Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on June 07, 2016, 09:17:46 am

Title: Into Madness
Post by: stamper on June 07, 2016, 09:17:46 am
Condesending?
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: drmike on June 07, 2016, 10:04:45 am
My initial thought is that the figures are too central and the bottom section perhaps doesn't add much to the overall scene.
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: RSL on June 07, 2016, 11:56:55 am
I don't agree with you Mike. There are stairs above and stairs below, and the fact that the people are in the middle says something fundamental about the whole situation. I don't know what it says, but I know it says it.

I'm being facetious, but I shouldn't be. This is ambiguity at its best, and it's an important part of the best street photography.

No, Stamper, instead of condescending I'd say just descending. It's a fine shot. I like it.
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 07, 2016, 12:41:01 pm
I don't agree with you Mike. There are stairs above and stairs below, and the fact that the people are in the middle says something fundamental about the whole situation. I don't know what it says, but I know it says it.

I'm being facetious, but I shouldn't be. This is ambiguity at its best, and it's an important part of the best street photography.

No, Stamper, instead of condescending I'd say just descending. It's a fine shot. I like it.
+1.
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: drmike on June 07, 2016, 01:22:09 pm
Square crop losing the bottom, job's a good 'un :)
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: stamper on June 08, 2016, 03:38:37 am
Square crop losing the bottom, job's a good 'un :)

I think it is possible to crop the bottom and still have a good image. I thought about it but because the bottom is different from the rest of the image I felt it added extra complexity. The placing of the figures centrally is deliberate. Some members might have the rule of thirds in mind whilst looking at the image but I just go with my gut instinct and don't consult the rules. Thanks for the feedback.
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: drmike on June 08, 2016, 03:40:18 am
Thank you for taking it in good spirit!
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: stamper on June 08, 2016, 04:13:09 am
Thank you for taking it in good spirit!

I certainly wasn't offended. One or two of the members intentions when critiquing I have my doubts about but I have learned to ignore them...mostly. Your comments were reasonable and presented an alternative point of view and that is what it is all about? :)
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: kencameron on June 08, 2016, 05:03:03 am
The placing of the figures centrally is deliberate.
A good choice, IMO and, as RSL says, somehow consistent with the content or meaning of the image.
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: petermfiore on June 08, 2016, 05:15:00 am
The central placement of the figures give the viewer a sense of being trapped in labyrinth...Powerful image.Take a bow.


Peter
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: stamper on June 08, 2016, 05:17:14 am
The central placement of the figures give the viewer a sense of being trapped in labyrinth...Powerful image.Take a bow.


Peter

Thanks.
Title: Re: Into Madness
Post by: petermfiore on June 08, 2016, 08:34:53 am
A labyrinth of our own making...

Peter