Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Gilgamesh on June 06, 2016, 05:37:59 pm

Title: Moving on up from 35mm. What do you suggest?
Post by: Gilgamesh on June 06, 2016, 05:37:59 pm
A little background, as I have owned film 'Blad CM 500's and Leica M6 and M240 bodies with current lenses (28 f2.8, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.4, 90 f2.0 ), Mamiya 7 + 80mm so I am used to top-flight images and technique.

So, I am on eBay, looking for something along the lines of a 40mb back plus a body with the corresponding 2x lenses, the equivalent of a 35mm and a standard 50mm in terms of 35mm photography - an 80 and a 50/60mm lenses (?).

What in your opinion are my options? "Blad and Pentax? If so, which 'Blad as there seen to be so many?

How do the two stack up against each other?

Am I ignoring Phase 1 and others at my peril?

Thanks in anticipation.
Title: Re: Moving on up from 35mm. What do you suggest?
Post by: Paul2660 on June 06, 2016, 10:53:14 pm
Just a thought might want to post this also in the MF forum. 

Should get a lot of ideas.

Paul C
Title: Re: Moving on up from 35mm. What do you suggest?
Post by: NancyP on June 07, 2016, 07:26:20 pm
Gilgamesh, you should specify the typical uses you will have for the cameras. Why do you need greater than 35mm? Clients want it? Clients want ginormous prints? Need tilt-shift? Need leaf-shutter lenses for fashion work? Need sturdy weather-resistant camera for outdoors work?
Title: Re: Moving on up from 35mm. What do you suggest?
Post by: ctz on June 08, 2016, 02:44:55 am
Last year I moved back from medium format to 35mm, after 10 years I gave up on Phase One for a Sony A7RII.
...And I'll never look back.
I shoot mainly product (drinks, splashes, food, this kind of jobs).
Cannot be happier with Sony.

Just my 2 cents.