Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Rob C on June 06, 2016, 03:40:44 pm

Title: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Rob C on June 06, 2016, 03:40:44 pm
I used to use an HP B9180 for b/white, which it did very well on 'Hahne. Photo Rag Bright White'. It wasn't much good for colour, sadly, as try as I might, reds always looked pretty damned weak.

Anyway, that's been put out of commission due to HP policy, and I haven't made a print in over a year - at least.

Can anyone suggest a good alternative, but one which also lets me produce better colour than did the HP? I only want to use sheets, not rolls, and I can't afford more real estate than the desktop space that just fitted the HP!

Thanks for any suggestions you think may help.

Rob C
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2016, 03:47:32 pm
If you want professional quality colour and don't need a roll feed, I would recommend a Canon Pro-1000 or an Epson P800. If you want a lower price point, excellent results, 17 inch width and don't mind dye inks, the Canon Pro-100 would be a good choice (seen some results but haven't tested it). I have tested and reviewed the P800 and the Pro-1000 for this website, and Keith Cooper has done so as well for NorthLight Images on that site. I suggest reading both sets of reviews and associated discussions before deciding what is best for you.
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: LGeb on June 06, 2016, 04:02:19 pm
If you want professional quality colour and don't need a roll feed, I would recommend a Canon Pro-1000 or an Epson P800. If you want a lower price point, excellent results, 17 inch width and don't mind dye inks, the Canon Pro-100 would be a good choice (seen some results but haven't tested it). I have tested and reviewed the P800 and the Pro-1000 for this website, and Keith Cooper has done so as well for NorthLight Images on that site. I suggest reading both sets of reviews and associated discussions before deciding what is best for you.

Canon Pro 100 is 13". The P800 and Pro-1000 are 17".
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2016, 04:11:09 pm
Canon Pro 100 is 13". The P800 and Pro-1000 are 17".

Yes, but it is still an A3+ printer (can handle 13*19 inch sheets) which fits what Rob wants. But good you mention that, just in case Rob wants to buy something allowing him to graduate to larger print size eventually.
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: howardm on June 06, 2016, 04:20:21 pm
there is an additional $50 off on the PRO-100 (not sure how long it will last) so the walk-away price (after rebate) is $100 including a 50pk of 13x19 paper.

Could buy a 2nd printer *just* for the ink ($129 value) and extra head.
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Rand47 on June 06, 2016, 04:23:22 pm
Yes, but it is still an A3+ printer (can handle 13*19 inch sheets) which fits what Rob wants. But good you mention that, just in case Rob wants to buy something allowing him to graduate to larger print size eventually.

Then let's toss in the SC P600, which comes with roll adapter.  :D

Rand
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2016, 04:40:49 pm
there is an additional $50 off on the PRO-100 (not sure how long it will last) so the walk-away price (after rebate) is $100 including a 50pk of 13x19 paper.

Could buy a 2nd printer *just* for the ink ($129 value) and extra head.

Unbelievable. Looks like the razor model taken just about to the limit - give away the device and make it back on the consumables.
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2016, 04:44:31 pm
Then let's toss in the SC P600, which comes with roll adapter.  :D

Rand

Yes indeed, though Rob isn't into rolls. B&H is selling that one for roughly 600 after the mail-in rebate, but it's a pigment ink printer, while the Pro-100 is dye. I'm hearing that these dyes have much improved longevity, but haven't seen comparative data.
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Rob C on June 06, 2016, 05:20:59 pm
Thanks for the suggestions - that was quick!

I really don't see myself wanting to go bigger than A3+ because that would almost inevitably mean different cameras etc. etc. in a never-ending chase of my own tail; also, the room available to me for a printer isn't growing any larger, so future planning isn't a factor in this instance. (I won't even mention age!)

Again, thank you for your suggestions and help with this, people.

Rob C
Title: Re: A3+ Printer suggestions wanted!
Post by: Mark D Segal on June 06, 2016, 05:46:29 pm

(I won't even mention age!)

Again, thank you for your suggestions and help with this, people.

Rob C

You are welcome. And yes indeed - it can reach a point where one can realistically begin to estimate the probabilities of whether the printer will outlive the user or vice versa. At that point, it's better not to think about it and just buy what you will enjoy the most :-)