Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: John Koerner on June 02, 2016, 11:17:29 am
-
These are a series of shots I took of the California Patch (Chlosyne californica), where an old, tattered male was unable to successfully breed a somewhat tattered, and apparently-receptive, female. I have heard male butterflies need minerals from the earth in order to increase their fertility and be able to breed (that is why it is common to see butterflies on the ground "sipping" at the edges of streams and in mud). Perhaps this is why the old fellow failed in the end?
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001358_large.jpg)
Female minding her own business ...
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001362_large.jpg)
And here he comes ...
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001361_large.jpg)
Determined to have his way ...
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001364_large.jpg)
Gets the green light ...
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001369_large.jpg)
Unfortunately, nothing. He can only sit and daydream about, what if? ...
For encounter details, including photos of habitat, click here (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/image_encounter_view.php?encounter_id=87).
For taxonomic placement on the Tree of Life, click here (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/image_tree.php?tsn=778072).
Enjoy :D
-
Good story. I would have preferred if in some shots the male in flight would be focused.
-
Good story. I would have preferred if in some shots the male in flight would be focused.
Hi Paulo,
The male was focused, on the female. ;) He just didn't feel like posing for a shot.
Insects in flight are very hard to focus on, so one either has to use a very fast AF macro lens, or manually pre-focuse on a position that may, or may not, be in the eratick flight path. Getting things in focus at different close-up distances requires a photo montage.
Cheers,
Bart
-
Good story. I would have preferred if in some shots the male in flight would be focused.
Thanks, and thank you for your observation.
On the one hand, I agree with you: a photo of the male in-focus would be nice :)
On the other hand, the female was the "center" of attention and, thus, the "star" ...
Also, the male being a blur-of-bokeh, while circling the female, kind of adds to his insignificance ... as he never achieved his objective :-[
Jack
-
Hi Paulo,
The male was focused, on the female. ;)
:D
He just didn't feel like posing for a shot.
Or ... never became worthy :-[
Insects in flight are very hard to focus on, so one either has to use a very fast AF macro lens, or manually pre-focuse on a position that may, or may not, be in the eratick flight path. Getting things in focus at different close-up distances requires a photo montage.
Cheers,
Bart
Very true.
I was actually using a 300mm VR II, which has blazing-fast AF, but I kept my focus on the female, just firing shots singly, when I thought the male was in a good spot next to her.
I only focused on the male when he gave up and sat it out, with "Loser" stamped on his forehead, lol
-
I think that both genders need minerals and have the "puddling" behavior (sitting on damp ground and sipping it).
-
I think that both genders need minerals and have the "puddling" behavior (sitting on damp ground and sipping it).
I wonder how their behavior would change if one would pour some beer or Southern Comfort into a small wooden dish (avoid a dish from glass or smooth metal). I'm guessing it would slow them down somewhat (or maybe make the male more amorous).
-
I think that both genders need minerals and have the "puddling" behavior (sitting on damp ground and sipping it).
Interesting, thanks. I thought it was only males.