Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on May 29, 2016, 04:21:49 pm
-
Any thoughts, comments or reactions to this image? Thanks, t
-
Very effective.
-
+1
-
Well seen.
However...
I would concentrate (next time?) on "tightening" the composition, i.e., eliminating anything superfluous, like trees in the background and the bench, in order to achieve a pure play on patterns, abstracts and graphics. Moving a step to the right might have achieved that.
-
Cropped. Maybe amp up the contrast and lower the brightness of the pillar on the left. The view of the landscape peaking between the pillars on the right is a distraction. I wouldn't hesitate to mask that out and put something else in there.
-
Very effective.
+1
-
Both versions are good, but I like cropped version more.
Apart from composition, your image is also good technically, I can see that when I enlarge it... But then, after opening up the original image I was immediately distracted by that car to the right of the rightmost column. With second version, even though there's still another car, it's almost invisible, and certainly not distracting.
Getting rid of the bench helps, too.
-
Well seen.
However...
I would concentrate (next time?) on "tightening" the composition, i.e., eliminating anything superfluous, like trees in the background and the bench, in order to achieve a pure play on patterns, abstracts and graphics. Moving a step to the right might have achieved that.
+1
-
Thank you all for all the consultation. I have gone back and created 2 different crops of same image. And included a new angle of view from the scene as well.
-
I would concentrate (next time?) on "tightening" the composition, i.e., eliminating anything superfluous, like trees in the background and the bench, in order to achieve a pure play on patterns, abstracts and graphics. Moving a step to the right might have achieved that.
I see and agree. Originally I liked the shadow from the bench leading into the bottom of the image. But now... not at the cost of the distraction created by the bench. Thanks
-
Potentially, a terrific shot - but, the blacks should be black and the white should be white and everything else in between should be grades of subtle grey. It was the rule in the old darkroom, and it still holds fast today. This picture needs a kick in the arse - and you can do it.
Nowadays, there are plenty of tools in Lightroom to help you with this (if you have it). Keep away from the CONTRAST tool and concentrate on the LIGHTS, DARKS etc and also on the CURVE Panel. There are hidden secrets in there! Also, have a look at your levels in this case. A slightly askew picture, unless in STREET, can knock the viewer off.
Otherwise, you seem to have 'the eye', my friend.
Otherwise, a great pic
-
Potentially, a terrific shot - but, the blacks should be black and the white should be white and everything else in between should be grades of subtle grey. It was the rule in the old darkroom, and it still holds fast today. This picture needs a kick in the arse - and you can do it.
Nowadays, there are plenty of tools in Lightroom to help you with this (if you have it). Keep away from the CONTRAST tool and concentrate on the LIGHTS, DARKS etc and also on the CURVE Panel. There are hidden secrets in there! Also, have a look at your levels in this case. A slightly askew picture, unless in STREET, can knock the viewer off.
Otherwise, you seem to have 'the eye', my friend.
Otherwise, a great pic
Thanks, Any better?