Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: graeme on May 29, 2016, 06:36:35 am

Title: Josef Sudek
Post by: graeme on May 29, 2016, 06:36:35 am
I'm getting very interested in the work of Josef Sudek. Can any forum members recommend good books of his work? I'm more interested in decent reproductions of his photos than the written stuff.

Graeme
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: Stan Bax on May 29, 2016, 09:34:36 am
There is a bibliography on the Czech Wikipedia site https://cs.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Sudek - quoting the number of pictures in each publication. The publication city names might be hard to translate, but Kolin n. R. is Köln, Germany, Lipsko = Leipzig, Milano = Milan, Paříž = Paris, and Praha is Prague of course... ..hope this helps a bit. Looks like a antique book shop search but wouldn't underestimate good public libraries, they might have some of this...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: JimAscher on May 29, 2016, 10:01:40 am
Also, the Winter and Spring 1990 issues of Aperture (Nos. 117 and 118) are entirely devoted to Sudek.  Worth searching out. 
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: Mjean on May 29, 2016, 12:06:26 pm
One of my all-time favourite photographers!  There was an exhibition of his work in Toronto a few years ago and I could not get enough of it.  I have four books of his works:  Josef Sudek Portraits,  Saint Vitus's Cathedral, The Advertising Photographs and Josef Sudek, The Legacy of a Deeper Vision.   They are beautiful books.
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: graeme on May 29, 2016, 12:25:02 pm
Thanks Guys. I'll check out your recommendations.
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: GrahamBy on May 29, 2016, 02:53:04 pm
You just need to get yourself to Paris over summer:

http://www.jeudepaume.org/?page=article&idArt=2474

There may eventually be a catalogue...
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: Zorki5 on May 29, 2016, 11:34:03 pm
I'm getting very interested in the work of Josef Sudek. Can any forum members recommend good books of his work? I'm more interested in decent reproductions of his photos than the written stuff.

This is where I learned about him; highly recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZG7eqoVKQY

Please also note that in the description of that video there's a link to the collection Josef's work on Pinterest that was used in the video (pretty "decent reproductions", if you ask me):

https://www.pinterest.com/tedforbes/josef-sudek/
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: graeme on May 30, 2016, 03:58:58 am
Thanks  for those suggestions.
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: muntanela on June 09, 2016, 03:50:47 pm
I have the italian edition of this
 https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Poet-Prague-Photographers/dp/0893814326/177-3564576-9790408?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0 (https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Poet-Prague-Photographers/dp/0893814326/177-3564576-9790408?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0)

There is a new edition

https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Prague-Aperture-Monograph/dp/0893813869/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A54DTXVFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR274%2C320_&refRID=194M6K748C9TCY1VY179 (https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Prague-Aperture-Monograph/dp/0893813869/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A54DTXVFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR274%2C320_&refRID=194M6K748C9TCY1VY179)

The photographs are printed well.
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: Patricia Sheley on June 09, 2016, 08:12:10 pm
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z949_0NkSY
Lumine!
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: Rob C on June 10, 2016, 04:12:13 am
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z949_0NkSY
Lumine!



Not to be watched unless you are feeling absolutely too great. And never just after the first cup of tea at breakfast.

Rob C
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: graeme on June 10, 2016, 03:19:58 pm
I have the italian edition of this
 https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Poet-Prague-Photographers/dp/0893814326/177-3564576-9790408?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0 (https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Poet-Prague-Photographers/dp/0893814326/177-3564576-9790408?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0)

There is a new edition

https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Prague-Aperture-Monograph/dp/0893813869/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A54DTXVFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR274%2C320_&refRID=194M6K748C9TCY1VY179 (https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Prague-Aperture-Monograph/dp/0893813869/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A54DTXVFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR274%2C320_&refRID=194M6K748C9TCY1VY179)

The photographs are printed well.

Thanks for that, I've just ordered it.
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: graeme on June 29, 2016, 12:21:00 pm
I have the italian edition of this
 https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Poet-Prague-Photographers/dp/0893814326/177-3564576-9790408?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0 (https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Poet-Prague-Photographers/dp/0893814326/177-3564576-9790408?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0)

There is a new edition

https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Prague-Aperture-Monograph/dp/0893813869/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A54DTXVFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR274%2C320_&refRID=194M6K748C9TCY1VY179 (https://www.amazon.com/Josef-Sudek-Prague-Aperture-Monograph/dp/0893813869/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A54DTXVFL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR274%2C320_&refRID=194M6K748C9TCY1VY179)

The photographs are printed well.
The book arrived this morning. I'm very pleased with it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Title: Re: Josef Sudek
Post by: muntanela on July 01, 2016, 02:19:45 am
The book arrived this morning. I'm very pleased with it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm glad I could help!