Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on May 26, 2016, 04:42:48 am

Title: Not a prayer
Post by: stamper on May 26, 2016, 04:42:48 am
The figure in the original Raw image was pure black. Normally I would leave it as such but decided to lighten it a little. An improvement over pure black?
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2016, 07:14:20 am
Fine as is...however if left as Black the figure becomes a symbol of man. Here you have a specific man. Both work , but much depends on your intent.

Peter
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: RSL on May 26, 2016, 08:02:16 am
I'd opt for the black to generalize the figure. Problem is, the guy stands alone. There's nothing else to beat him off of graphically, but he still can be, as Peter puts it, a symbol of man.
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: Otto Phocus on May 26, 2016, 11:30:31 am
I will add my opinion to the mix.  I prefer silhouettes to be silhouettes.  Almost silhouettes often don't do much for me.
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 26, 2016, 02:41:20 pm
I'd like at least to see the properly silhouetted version; I suspect I'll like it more than this one.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 26, 2016, 05:05:31 pm
Wow! This must be a first: Five comments so far, and all seem to be suggesting that Robert's image isn't quite contrasty enough.

I'll have to agree that the silhouette idea appeals to me. A fine image either way.

Eric
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: stamper on May 27, 2016, 09:59:32 am
Wow! This must be a first: Five comments so far, and all seem to be suggesting that Robert's image isn't quite contrasty enough.

I'll have to agree that the silhouette idea appeals to me. A fine image either way.

Eric

It is ironic that more contrast is wanted! You can't win them all. :) Thanks for the feedback.
Title: Re: Not a prayer
Post by: Zorki5 on May 27, 2016, 11:38:43 am
Wow! This must be a first: Five comments so far, and all seem to be suggesting that Robert's image isn't quite contrasty enough.

I'll have to agree that the silhouette idea appeals to me. A fine image either way.

+1 (to both lines :) )