Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: pearlstreet on May 16, 2016, 01:50:40 pm
-
Printed with Museo Silver Rag today on my new P800 and am getting marks on the trailing edge of the paper. I set paper thickness to 5 and platen gap to wide with drying time at 5. What else can I do to get rid of these marks?
Sharon
-
Call Epson ProGraphics tech support.
-
Nothing at all wrong, I needed to select "thick paper" - ON under the settings/maintenance tab on the printer itself. Yay.
-
I would absolutely verify that there is zero curl on the edges and reverse roll it to get it out as best as possible if there is.
I think there is a very good chance that when you tell Epson that you're using Silver Rag, they'll say something like they don't 'support' non-Epson (or words to that effect) papers.
In general, my 3880 is problem-free but when I am not careful w/ some Haman Gloss, I'll see trailing edge marks.
-
No they were very helpful. Told me to leave thick paper at on as I usually print with fine art papers. That seemed to work. I'm getting beautiful black and white prints with this printer and silver rag so glad it's working.
Thanks Mark and Howard.
Sharon
-
You are welcome. Glad it is sorted out for you.
-
Nothing at all wrong, I needed to select "thick paper" - ON under the settings/maintenance tab on the printer itself. Yay.
Sharon, I was just thinking about this - and while what you did worked, so perhaps leave well enough alone - in principle, it should not be necessary to intervene with the LCD once all the correct settings are made through the driver settings menus on a computer display. So when you set "Wide" and "5", unless the paper needed more than "5", this should have sufficed UNLESS THE DRIVER SETTINGS WERE NOT STICKY. To be on the safe side it is normally best practice to create a new custom Preset with a new group of settings, and make sure that the bespoke Preset is loaded for the job you are doing. This avoids any risk of reversion to other settings behind your back.
-
It did show that the settings "stuck". Maybe 5 isn't enough for this paper as it is pretty thick. I'll make a preset for it once I try a wider gap. Thanks Mark.
-
It did show that the settings "stuck". Maybe 5 isn't enough for this paper as it is pretty thick. I'll make a preset for it once I try a wider gap. Thanks Mark.
It would be interesting to know from Epson if there is a "mechanical" difference between "wide platen gap" and "thick paper setting" via the menu. It would seem that there must be a difference of some sort, since "wide platen gap" is also selectable via the front panel (as well as the driver) - otherwise it seems it would be completely redundant in the panel settings. And - the fact that "thick paper" as a "setting" (as opposed to the variable "paper thickness" setting in the driver) is not available in the driver. There is either a "real" (mechanical) difference in some way, or a significant breakdown in logic and programming in firmware and driver. I'd like to see LULA reach out to both Epson and Canon and recommend that a "visible" technical presence be made available in the forum (as other vendors have) to help explain some of these questions/issues.
Rand
-
It would be interesting to know from Epson if there is a "mechanical" difference between "wide platen gap" and "thick paper setting" via the menu. It would seem that there must be a difference of some sort, since "wide platen gap" is also selectable via the front panel (as well as the driver) - otherwise it seems it would be completely redundant in the panel settings. And - the fact that "thick paper" as a "setting" (as opposed to the variable "paper thickness" setting in the driver) is not available in the driver. There is either a "real" (mechanical) difference in some way, or a significant breakdown in logic and programming in firmware and driver. I'd like to see LULA reach out to both Epson and Canon and recommend that a "visible" technical presence be made available in the forum (as other vendors have) to help explain some of these questions/issues.
Rand
Hi Rand,
You have a point. It is, however, also the case that much of this stuff is explained in the printer manuals, though quality of explanation can vary. There is redundancy between driver settings accessible from the computer menus and those accessible directly from the printer LCD. The reason is that not everyone prints from a computer. When not printing from a computer, direct access to settings on the LCD can become necessary depending on what one is doing. I have never done any printing other than from a computer so I don't have much more insight into it than that, but this is what was explained to me when I posed the same question to the manufacturers. In the case of the Epson driver, it was also emphasized that if I'm printing from a computer, whatever driver settings I make there override anything overlapping on the printer LCD. I have checked this by intentionally making them different, and indeed, the settings done from the computer access menus prevail. With Canon there are several settings that need to cohere between the LCD and the on-computer display driver menu, but they are few and one becomes accustomed to it - otherwise the printer nags you and you know you need to cohere them. I don't think there will be a rush of manufacturer tech support offered through web forums. They have their own tech support to deal with customer questions. But it is a good idea, because many readers would benefit from the technical advice at the same time. You can imagine that it would require a fair bit of preparation and arranging to make it happen.