Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on May 16, 2016, 11:50:32 am

Title: Drive Through
Post by: RSL on May 16, 2016, 11:50:32 am
.
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: Rob C on May 16, 2016, 01:38:00 pm
A sinister streak! Keep driving right on and don't look round.

Rob
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: francois on May 17, 2016, 10:45:22 am
Yes, a truly frightening place.
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 17, 2016, 02:19:59 pm
I quite like it, but I don't get the fear, I confess: the gabled house in the background would reassure me.

Anyway, what is it?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: Otto Phocus on May 17, 2016, 02:44:54 pm
I am afraid I am not "getting" this photograph.

Can you share your intentions?
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: petermfiore on May 17, 2016, 02:52:54 pm
As frightening as the inky blackness of Hopper's "GAS"...

Peter
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: Rob C on May 17, 2016, 03:07:42 pm
As frightening as the inky blackness of Hopper's "GAS"...

Peter


Like my French wood experience: though in broad daylight, same panic of get the hell out.

Rob C
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: RSL on May 17, 2016, 03:16:46 pm
As frightening as the inky blackness of Hopper's "GAS"...

Peter

Hi Peter, I know a "Gas Station" by Hopper that's in color, but maybe there's one I've missed. Like most people I love the Impressionists, and I'm impressed by Bierstadt's ability to convey the actual feeling of the mountains, But Edward Hopper has been my favorite painter for many decades. He grabs me and shakes me in a way that's quite powerful. And, as you evidently did, for some reason, this picture felt Hopperish to me.
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: petermfiore on May 17, 2016, 03:38:44 pm
Hi Peter, I know a "Gas Station" by Hopper that's in color, but maybe there's one I've missed. Like most people I love the Impressionists, and I'm impressed by Bierstadt's ability to convey the actual feeling of the mountains, But Edward Hopper has been my favorite painter for many decades. He grabs me and shakes me in a way that's quite powerful. And, as you evidently did, for some reason, this picture felt Hopperish to me.

I'm sure this is the one you know...The road, going into dark, is the start  a very awful journey.

Peter
Title: Re: Drive Through
Post by: RSL on May 17, 2016, 03:46:17 pm
Yes. That's the one. I guess one reason it grabs me is because on many a trip through the west I've stopped to gas up at dusk and then driven on into the dark. I once wrote a poem about it: http://www.russ-lewis.com/Poetry/Poems/NightComesOn.html