Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: henrikfoto on May 15, 2016, 06:36:41 pm

Title: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: henrikfoto on May 15, 2016, 06:36:41 pm
Is this a good way to use the good old V-lenses?
Manual focus on a 50mp sensor is difficult, but is the live view on the 645z
good enough to trust completely?

This camera is tempting since the price is low (relatively) and I have the complete line of the
V-lenses just laying around.

Any advice?
Title: Re: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: Joe Towner on May 15, 2016, 09:17:45 pm
Turn on focus peaking and you should be fine.  Even using the view finder, I'm 99% sure it'll focus confirm with a beep.
Title: Re: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: henrikfoto on May 16, 2016, 04:57:30 am
Turn on focus peaking and you should be fine.  Even using the view finder, I'm 99% sure it'll focus confirm with a beep.

Thank you, Joe! Do you use the camera yourself? If so, are you pleased with the files?

Henrik
Title: Re: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: Joe Towner on May 16, 2016, 10:35:31 am
Thank you, Joe! Do you use the camera yourself? If so, are you pleased with the files?

Henrik

I use it a lot, some of my most iconic work was done with it.  The files work for me, and I love shooting it in the rain.
Have you been using your Hasselblad V kit with a digital back?  Focus is focus, so it shouldn't care if its a 16mp fatpixel back, or an IQ280.
Title: Re: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: henrikfoto on May 16, 2016, 02:40:28 pm
Nice picture, Joe!
Yes I have use a back on a V, but was not happy about the vibrations from the shutter.

Do you use Lightroom for processing?

Henrik
Title: Re: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: Joe Towner on May 16, 2016, 03:11:00 pm
Yep, I use Lightroom, and it's been pretty good.  The 645z has a smaller mirror setup, so that should help.  The articulating screen will make you happy until you see the delay between pressing the shutter and capture - it feels really long.
Title: Re: Pentax 645z with Hasselblad V lenses and live view?
Post by: jng on May 16, 2016, 11:00:57 pm
Yes I have use a back on a V, but was not happy about the vibrations from the shutter.

Henrik

Presumably you're referring to the seismic-scale vibrations from the barn door auxiliary shutter/mirror slap and not the leaf shutter... As I'm sure you know, shutter pre-release takes care of that - a practical solution if you're working slowly (e.g., when using live view). I've found that shooting portraits makes pre-releasing the auxiliary shutter impractical (subjects react to the initial thwop! and think the picture has been taken), but with the camera mounted on my 3-series Gitzo the results have been acceptable without pre-releasing the shutter, even using a 60 Mp back.

In any case, the 645Z sounds like a great - and relatively economical - solution for assisted manual focusing, something I've been thinking about more and more as these old eyes continue on their decline...

John