Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Nick Walker on May 13, 2016, 10:49:51 am
-
I have been using Epson printers for 17 years which I am very familiar with. Courier delivered a Canon Imageprograf Pro-1000 today. Set-up was straight forward, I followed the instructions to the letter. For some unknown reason I have no options for the media settings or colour management (on/off), etc, regardless of the software being used. The settings offered are very basic. I have deleted the drivers and started again but to of no avail.
The only options listed in the driver drop-down menu are as follows:
Media and Quality
Layout
Paper handling
Cover Page
Supply Levels
There are no advanced settings options or sub menus for the 'Media and Quality' option - paper type or colour management settings (on/off).
I have been trying to to resolve this issue with Canon but no luck so far.
Any suggestions please?
-
It appears it might be issue with OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite. I have just installed the same driver on my macbook Pro (El Capitan) and all is fine.
-
When people report this (or very similar) problem, it can usually/often be traced to the wrong driver being auto-installed. Check the value of 'Type:' in the printer driver preference pane. If it says 'Airprint', you just discovered your problem. Remove the printer and reinstall the driver making sure NOT to select Airprint.
-
Yes, Howard provided the most likely answer. The driver you want is called "Series" or USB
-
When the computer is scanning the network for printers to add, give it 20-30 seconds to find the S3880 or EpsonTCPIP driver
-
Howard, he's using a Canon Image Prograph Pro-1000, not an Epson printer.
-
As Emily Latela (sp?) would say: Never Mind
-
You mean this one probably Emily Litella (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Litella)? Ya OK - One printer or the other, one driver or the other, "Vat me Vorry"? :-) But the OP just needs to install the fill version of whatever it is .... we converge on that - and hope it solves his problem.
-
Just back from a refreshing 6 mile walk in the countryside in lovely weather to find the replies, thanks folks. I will check driver type as suggested.
-
The walking is much healthier. :-) Let us know how it works out.
-
Based on several cock-ups when setting up printers here on my Macs, it sounds like the wrong printer driver selection.
When I first set up the PRO-1000, it defaulted to AirPrint - the one you want is the bottom one (i.e. not an AirPrint one)
-
When people report this (or very similar) problem, it can usually/often be traced to the wrong driver being auto-installed. Check the value of 'Type:' in the printer driver preference pane. If it says 'Airprint', you just discovered your problem. Remove the printer and reinstall the driver making sure NOT to select Airprint.
In order to check this out on my system, where can I see the "print driver preference pane" mentioned above? I'm on a Mac, OS 10.10.5, printing to an Epson 3800. I've never seen anything in my Mac labeled/titled Airprint. Screenshot shows what I see in the System Prefs>Printers and Scanners
thanks
Brad
-
In the printers and scanners preference dialog, delete the printer, then click "+" to add it back, and the driver options will show.
-
No need to delete and re-create the printer.
It's the entry for 'Kind' under the icon of the 3880. You have the correct driver loaded, the S3880 driver. If it said 'Airprint', you'd be here asking the same 'why doesn't it work question' ;) I was in error saying it was the word 'Type'.
-
And I overlooked the point that it is identified beside the word "Kind" under the printer icon. That is true. The print is so small and feint with my hi-res display that I missed it. The last time I had to correct for this, I did the Printer Delete and Add routine, so that is what stuck in my mind. However, once again, Howard, the O/P is talking Image ProGraph (Canon), not Epson 3880; but your basic point is correct.
-
Yes, I get that. Since I dont ahve a Canon printer, I could not say what word(s) are used for the 'Kind' line for Canon stuff. I was just referring to the attached image that did show a 3880. Really no need to keep going back and forth on this, I think the OP 'gets it'.
-
We're aligned.
-
I resolved the problem by ignoring Canon's printer set-up instructions re drivers and downloaded the drivers directly from Canon's website.
Thanks for the responses!
-
That's great Nick, glad you are sorted-out. Enjoy the printer.
-
what were Canon's instructions? To let the system 'find' the drivers from Apple's website? If so, that is almost always a loser for photo/fine-art printers.
-
what were Canon's instructions? To let the system 'find' the drivers from Apple's website? If so, that is almost always a loser for photo/fine-art printers.
If you read what he said, he downloaded the driver from Canon's website. Seems pretty clear and definitive to me.
And FYI, Apple's updater does not up-date the drivers for Epson Professional printers either. It is used for the non-pro lines; I have been using it for my Workforce Pro multi-function Epson printer and it works fine.
-
I would disagree with that statement. He said:
I resolved the problem by ignoring Canon's printer set-up instructions re drivers
and I inquired as to what Canon's printer set-up instructions actually were so no, it's not clear and definitive.
He indicated he found a solution, but he didn't say exactly what the root cause of the error in the instructions was.
-
Read carefully - he also said he downloaded the driver directly from the Canon website. The Canon website is not the Apple website.
There are no errors in Canon's instructions on printer set-up. I know, because I did it all when I tested it for my review article. It's easy as pie. The only "hooker" is the default installation of that horrid Airprint driver - same hooker as for the Epson P800. As long as one doesn't fall into that mousetrap the process and its outcomes are fine.
-
Having run across the exact same problem myself when installing the Epson P800 drivers last year, I spotted it right away during the installation of the PRO-1000.
I've made a note about it in the PRO-1000 review I've just written - hopefully it will help someone else not go round in circles ;-)
It's a trivial issue when you spot it, but a potential trap for the unwary.