Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on May 13, 2016, 06:11:02 am
-
Comments welcome!
-
Nice!
-
Yes. The light's just about perfect.
-
Very good indeed. Great light and positioning.
-
Nice!
Indeed.
Since this is a critique forum, perhaps the amount of the empty black on the right is a bit too much? Maybe a vertical 8x10 ratio would be more suitable? Not that it can't stand on its own as-is, mind you.
-
Yes - I like that.
Jim
-
Indeed.
Since this is a critique forum, perhaps the amount of the empty black on the right is a bit too much? Maybe a vertical 8x10 ratio would be more suitable? Not that it can't stand on its own as-is, mind you.
Not so sure Slobodan. I tried your suggestion and the image comes out looking more static. A kind of rule of thirds- static. The large black area gives the person and the rest of the scene good balance and more mystery and tension, I think. A while back a guy did a video condemning what he called the tyranny and predominance of the rule of the thirds in photography, stating it was too simplistic. His theory was the great painters juxtaposed elements to create both real and implied movement within a scene. So he drew lines in a painting to show how movement can occur. It looked like a zigzag or similar pattern once the lines were made visible. Can't find the video anymore.
JR
-
Very good.
-
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Where to crop is always a "challenge" and I tend to change my mind the more I process and see an image. The video that John referred to would be interesting because the rule of thirds - or any rule - I tend to ignore because I go with my gut instinct.
-
Stamper, please don't change it. The black is the balance for light. A great example of breaking the rules in composition. When we rethink the rules, exciting things happen...
Peter
-
Stamper, please don't change it. The black is the balance for light. A great example of breaking the rules in composition. When we rethink the rules, exciting things happen...
Peter
+1.
-
It seems to me that the more of the black you crop off, the more the sense of isolation and disappointment (the latter implied by the title) decreases. It's best left as is, I think.
Jeremy
-
Once again...thanks.