Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Steve48 on May 12, 2016, 05:58:46 am

Title: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: Steve48 on May 12, 2016, 05:58:46 am
Over a year ago there was a rumor posted on this site that Nikon wouyld offer a RAW histogram firmware update to the D810. Whatever happened to this. Is it dead?
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: Dave Ellis on May 12, 2016, 03:42:45 pm
Over a year ago there was a rumor posted on this site that Nikon wouyld offer a RAW histogram firmware update to the D810. Whatever happened to this. Is it dead?

I think it turned out to be an elaborate hoax!
(The rumour that is, not the post on this site)

Dave
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: Cornfield on May 14, 2016, 09:16:32 am
A raw histogram is long overdue and is surprising the big manufacturers have not produced one yet.  The method used by Lloyd Chambers to amend a jpeg profile works with practice.
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: stamper on May 14, 2016, 09:30:02 am
In my experience if the jpeg histogram shows signs of clipping then there is about a 2/3 of stop of underexposure compared with the raw histogram in Raw Viewer.
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: Rob C on May 14, 2016, 11:14:32 am
Funny thing: when I first bought a digital camera, I coldn't stop looking at that little screen at the back. Now, several years down the line, I never look at it unless I'm working off a tripod - rarely - or in a very contre-jour situation, when I also switch off auto ISO. Beyond that, it seems relatively pointless, what with Nikon's Matrix being so damned good.

With film, my best (and constant) passive companion was a Weston Master with Invercone.

I would find a RAW version as underused as the existing versions. I have concluded that most of the time, these things just get in the way of what you imagine you are doing. Confidence...

Rob C
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: digitaldog on May 14, 2016, 11:48:17 am
In my experience if the jpeg histogram shows signs of clipping then there is about a 2/3 of stop of underexposure compared with the raw histogram in Raw Viewer.
Depends on the camera of course. We DO need a raw histogram (for Nikon and other systems). Thankfully we have RawDigger to evaluate this after the capture.
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: E.J. Peiker on May 14, 2016, 02:43:31 pm
If you are shooting with a D7200, D500, D5, D810, basically any higher end Nikon introduced after the D810, you can use the Flat Picture Profile.  This results in the histogram being produced off of a flat Embedded JPEG rather than one that has been cooked.  I have found that the histogram produced by using this profile almost exactly matches a RAW histogram.
Title: Re: Nikon Raw Histogram
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 14, 2016, 07:26:45 pm
If you are shooting with a D7200, D500, D5, D810, basically any higher end Nikon introduced after the D810, you can use the Flat Picture Profile.  This results in the histogram being produced off of a flat Embedded JPEG rather than one that has been cooked.  I have found that the histogram produced by using this profile almost exactly matches a RAW histogram.

Indeed flat is the way to go, but it makes pictures look very unsexy on camera screen! :)


Cheers,
Bernard