Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: petermfiore on May 05, 2016, 08:30:12 pm
-
From the Depths...
Peter
-
Another winner! The contrast is spot on and you should be happy with this one?
-
Nice one Peter - again, it's graphics that make it powerful. So much in the visual world is dependent on blocks and weights!
In that Bert Stern video he talked about being indoctrinated with the idea of the triange forming a strong base function... I really wonder if some parts of theoretical art instruction don't create as many problems as they solve; I can't rmember ever being taught anything about the golden mean, rule of thirds, or any such stuff: wasn't given the chance at the stage in life where I wanted it. Yet, I can't say that I was ever prevented from making the relevant subconscious decisions in a manner that might have followed had I had the formal eduction in the subject to make them conscious decisions: it comes down to gut.
Come to think of it, the more one delves in to these things the greater the fear of self-induced paralysis! Much like sex, then: doing what comes naturally. Or eating.
Rob
-
Another great shot, Peter.
I can't help thinking how hard it would have been to get the tonalities just right in wet darkroom days.
Eric
-
Another great shot, Peter.
I can't help thinking how hard it would have been to get the tonalities just right in wet darkroom days.
Eric
Why? Start with the right negs and real, graded, WSG papers... You should have had to try and print broken turbing blades from jet engines, where the greys in the prints had to be a match for the alloys which, themselves, were pretty much grey scales.
Then in colour prints, the trick was to match the colours in flame tubes, where colour, to the boffins, signified temperatures. I earned some nice Sunday working payments for doing that! No wonder I gave it all up to shoot fashion: metal can turn your head.
;-)
Rob
-
You're on a roll, Peter. Very nice.
-
From the Depths...
Peter
Engaging. I love the 1:1 aspect ratio. The use of negative space is brilliant.