Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on May 01, 2016, 06:22:17 pm

Title: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: chuckn on May 01, 2016, 06:22:17 pm
Old dead tree root, Lick Wash (Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument).

Chuck
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 01, 2016, 07:36:09 pm
May I suggest that the image would be much stronger without the lower quarter?
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 01, 2016, 11:40:53 pm
May I suggest that the image would be much stronger without the lower quarter?
I'll risk the Wrath of Russ by agreeing.
Great root, and nicely processed.
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: francois on May 02, 2016, 05:35:09 am
Nice! I tried to crop as per Slobodan's suggestion and it works very well.
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: stamper on May 02, 2016, 05:36:39 am
The lower part works as a good lead in imo. I like the processing.
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: chuckn on May 02, 2016, 09:34:40 pm
Thanks for the input on this photo. Here's the same image only with a square crop. I think I like this version better. What do you all think??

Chuck
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 03, 2016, 12:02:51 am
That's a pretty subtle change, but it does improve it, IMHO.
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 03, 2016, 12:53:03 am
The issue, Chuck, isn't the crop ratio, but the distracting lower left corner, with a bright rock and messy dirt. It conflicts with the otherwise simplified lines of the background rock and the twists of the roots. It should be either cropped out, significantly dodged, or somehow cloned clean.
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 03, 2016, 08:30:14 am
The issue, Chuck, isn't the crop ratio, but the distracting lower left corner, with a bright rock and messy dirt. It conflicts with the otherwise simplified lines of the background rock and the twists of the roots. It should be either cropped out, significantly dodged, or somehow cloned clean.
Cloned, not cropped ("Shaken, not stirred.")  ;)
Title: Re: tree root (Grand Staircase)
Post by: RSL on May 03, 2016, 09:48:37 am
This is one you might get more mileage out of in color. In B&W it's pretty blah.