Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: William Walker on April 30, 2016, 07:45:27 am
-
Hi
These two pictures were taken about 100 years ago and are in near perfect condition.
They were printed on a matte/satin-ish (thickish) paper...is it possible to determine the process used or any other info?
Thanks!
William
-
I have several family pictures from years 1904-1910 and they are gelatin silver prints.
The matte/satin finish probably means that they were air dried.
If the pictures were done before 1900, they probably will be albumen prints. These have a different surface, a lot more fragile, usually finely cracked by humidity changes.
-
I have several family pictures from years 1904-1910 and they are gelatin silver prints.
The matte/satin finish probably means that they were air dried.
If the pictures were done before 1900, they probably will be albumen prints. These have a different surface, a lot more fragile, usually finely cracked by humidity changes.
Thanks for the info! I think they must be the gelatin silver...
Wiliam