Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on April 29, 2016, 09:32:03 am

Title: Just a sky
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 29, 2016, 09:32:03 am
My friends,

Just a sky, but a pretty nice one from the plane earlier today above Tokyo. I was glad to have the DSLR in the bag! ;)

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1461/26711215745_2e7e0435e6_o.jpg)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: RSL on April 29, 2016, 09:49:30 am
Nice, Bernard.
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 29, 2016, 10:49:28 am
Thanks Russ.

I have also come up with another image shot seconds before, wonder which of the 2 you like better?

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1543/26106315154_e82b0d4cd3_o.jpg)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 29, 2016, 11:31:42 am
They're both nice, Bernard, but I prefer the second. The darks in the first one feel too heavy for my taste. Perhaps raising the shadows a bit might help.

Eric
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: RSL on April 29, 2016, 11:43:20 am
I like the first one best, Bernard. I think the reflections from the ground are an important part of the picture. I don't agree with Eric. I think the dark sky and partially dark ground give the picture an authority that seems missing in the B&W.
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: TomFrerichs on April 29, 2016, 02:10:02 pm
I, too, prefer the first one.  For me, the contrasting hues on the top and bottom help to divide the image into two and accent the highlight on the center right.  Also, the sun reflecting on the fields makes a nice line to draw my eye to the same place.

Tom
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: stamper on April 30, 2016, 03:50:24 am
I, too, prefer the first one.  For me, the contrasting hues on the top and bottom help to divide the image into two and accent the highlight on the center right.  Also, the sun reflecting on the fields makes a nice line to draw my eye to the same place.

Tom

Agreed.
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: Bob_B on April 30, 2016, 07:05:50 am
Agreed, first one.
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 30, 2016, 09:11:38 am
Thank you gentlemen.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: BernardLanguillier on April 30, 2016, 07:09:19 pm
Interestingly, this improvised image has proven to be by very far my most popular image ever on Flickr. ;)

So much so for story telling, planning, perfect technique,...

Now, it is better to have randomly captured images get very successful or to keep producing carefully crafted images that nobody cares about? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: RSL on May 01, 2016, 06:32:36 am
As HCB said, "It's always luck."
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: BernardLanguillier on May 01, 2016, 08:44:28 am
As HCB said, "It's always luck."

I guess it is.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: petermfiore on May 01, 2016, 08:54:13 am
Now, it is better to have randomly captured images get very successful or to keep producing carefully crafted images that nobody cares about? ;)
Cheers,
Bernard

Of course...it's far better and a good eye helps

Peter
Title: Re: Just a sky
Post by: RSL on May 01, 2016, 09:19:58 am
I guess it is.

Cheers,
Bernard

But he also said "You have to be receptive." That's art enters the picture.