Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 28, 2016, 02:20:37 pm
-
I'm musing on cropping out the rightmost fall. Thoughts?
Jeremy
-
I wouldn't. But I would slightly darken it, and lighten the next one. Is that the original frame or already cropped? It feels a bit cramped.
-
Try a square crop, removing the nearest cascade. See what you think.
-
I would go for the crop here, probably the square crop. All of the interest is to the left of the right-hand falls.
(Please don't tell Russ I said this.) ;)
-
I like it a lot as it is. I tried different crops but couldn't get anything substantially better than the original.
-
Try a square crop, removing the nearest cascade. See what you think.
+1 to cropping out the nearest cascade
-
Absolutely! Come on Jeremy, you know you always need to crop or the picture just isn't finished.
-
Absolutely! Come on Jeremy, you know you always need to crop or the picture just isn't finished.
As you know, Russ, my view is that it's not finished until it's properly cropped; and it may be properly cropped straight out of the camera. If it's a 3:2 ratio photograph.Which this one is, I think: this is framed as I took it.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, all. I have fiddled with a square crop and I don't like it: it loses too much of the ice formation.
I have, however, adopted Slobodan's suggestion of darkening and lightening the two rightmost falls, which I think constitutes an improvement.
Jeremy
-
Right. That's what I always try to get across. The place to crop is in the viewfinder. And, as usual, Slobodan hit the nail on the head.