Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: wding109 on April 27, 2016, 03:57:51 pm

Title: ALPA is now offering Lens shade for HR lens with full movement!
Post by: wding109 on April 27, 2016, 03:57:51 pm
ALPA is now offering Lens shade for HR lens with full movement! This is different from the ones that are optimized for zero-movement. I guess these shades will also fit the Arca-Swiss/Cambo mount. This should solve the flare problem on 40 and 32 very well. I think the only problem is that you cannot use these shades with 4x6/4x4 filters.
Has anyone tried any of them already? Any feedback?

Thanks a lot
Title: Re: ALPA is now offering Lens shade for HR lens with full movement!
Post by: Paul2660 on April 27, 2016, 07:00:53 pm
I can't speak to Alpa, but the Lee system will work also on the 40 and 32mm, and allow the use of the filters 4 x 4 on the 40mm and 150 x 150 on the 32mm. 

The hood I have seen from Alpa for the 32mm (which is new), it doesn't seem to allow allowance for any filters. 

The Lee system I have used now for several years:

On the 40mm HR-W, the Lee wide angle hood, with the wide angle ring from Lee.  This allows a 105mm CL-PL on the front and up to 2 4 x 4 filters behind.  The hood itself will also cut the flare very well.  You can also use a 4 x 4 white card for the LCC shot, in one of the filter slots.  Capture Integration sells one.

On the 32mm HR-W, I use the CF as I feel helps a lot on shifts past 5mm (noise and light fall off), so I am at 105mm.  Here the new Lee wide angle ring fits the 32mm and allows the use of any of the standard SW-150 filter holders, again up to 2 filters.   Lee also makes a 86mm Wide Angle Ring in the new style so if you are not a CF user then the smaller ring will work with the SW-150.  The SW-150 by design acts like a hood and helps to cut flare. 
Only down sides, weight of the 105mm and 86mm rings on the front of the 32 HR-W. 

Paul C
Title: Re: ALPA is now offering Lens shade for HR lens with full movement!
Post by: Chris Barrett on April 27, 2016, 08:37:33 pm
Ditto.  The Lee works great and allows me to use grads and a polarizer.  Only drag is the internal material loses it's rigidity after about a year.  I consider the hoods a 'consumable good.'

CB