Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on April 26, 2016, 05:10:10 pm

Title: First Light
Post by: maddogmurph on April 26, 2016, 05:10:10 pm
Was having difficulties with the top left of the frame, in full size format it looks spectacular, in web, it's struggling with what appears slightly blown highlights. I blended in a little cross processing and came out with this. I think it's good enough.

Twilight will always be my favorite light of the day. This is the time of the day when magical and almost surreal things can happen. Often times it's extremely subtle to the naked eye. Sometime the eye can't see what's happening, but the camera's sensor has gathered more light, and there is a glow of color that could not be seen by the naked eye. This is frequently the case with faint Aurora's in the far North or South.

This is another case of this. This is the first light of the day reflecting faintly off clouds onto the mountains you see. A few frames after this the traditional alpine glow of the sun actually hitting the mountain with orange hues can be seen, it's bright, and quite distracting. I liked this faint glow and the evenly distributed illumination.

Frequently alpine glow in the Himalayan mountains only touches the tips of the mountain tops. There are such large mountains surrounding each other, that by the time the light penetrates, it's already quite high in the sky. Only the tips of the 8,000+ meter peaks typically get illuminated. But during twilight often you can get an even illumination, with some glow, and a fairly even dynamic range to work with.
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: MattBurt on April 26, 2016, 06:17:16 pm
I like it.
The layers, and especially the clouds give it a nice feeling of depth. I like the subtle color and agree that time of day can be just fantastic in photos even when it may not seem so to the eye. Nice work!
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: Colorado_CJ on April 26, 2016, 08:03:59 pm
Great photo.  Looks like you might have used a slightly long lens, or was this a  crop?

I would love to be able to see the Himalayas in person some day.


I love taking landscapes with longer lenses, my favorite being between 105mm-135mm on an FF camera.
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 26, 2016, 09:30:52 pm
Lovely composition, colour, and lines.
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 26, 2016, 11:43:46 pm
Beautiful shot.
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 27, 2016, 03:44:24 am
I think it's good enough.

I agree. Lovely shot. I think I can see what's worrying you in the top left, but it's a quibble.

Jeremy
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 27, 2016, 03:48:41 am
Very good and calm.
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: stamper on April 27, 2016, 03:49:26 am
Lovely composition, colour, and lines.

I agree and the top left looks fine to me.
Title: Re: First Light
Post by: maddogmurph on April 27, 2016, 04:00:47 am
Great photo.  Looks like you might have used a slightly long lens, or was this a  crop?

I would love to be able to see the Himalayas in person some day.


I love taking landscapes with longer lenses, my favorite being between 105mm-135mm on an FF camera.
200mm F6.3 1.3" ISO 100

My 70-200F4 and my 24F1.4 is all I have ever needed 97.5% of the time.