Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: John Koerner on April 25, 2016, 12:12:26 am
-
(http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/thumbnails/1/1_thumb_0000001333_small.jpg) (http://www.thenaturephotographer.club/imagehosting/1/1_image_0000001333.jpg)
Practicing my use of flash (my goal is) to be imperceptible.
Comments? Criticism?
-
Imperceptible and very nice overall.
-
Cool, thank you for commenting.
I normally don't like to use flash, but some specimens move too much to stack.
I am using a Wimberley F-2 Macro Bracket and Vello Softbox to elevate and diffuse the flash.
Just trying to get the distance/settings right.
-
I'm glad I looked at the image before reading your mention of flash.
I had no idea flash was used!
I think you've nailed it. Beautiful!
-
Fine image. Would have been great if all the legs had been in sharp focus (perhaps via stacking).
-
Great image
-
Jack,
A friend sent me a link to a video about what might be called "Extreme microphotography." I think you'll find it interesting.
https://www.facebook.com/the.university.of.oxford/videos/10157015423825107/ (https://www.facebook.com/the.university.of.oxford/videos/10157015423825107/)
Eric
-
Fine image. Would have been great if all the legs had been in sharp focus (perhaps via stacking).
Thank you, and of course. The whole thing in focus would have been nice.
Four things though:
1) Macro shots have an incredibly-thin depth-of-field ... especially at 2:1 magnification;
2) The way the subject is positioned, with its legs bent, exacerbated the depth to where 30-40 shots, or more, would have been necessary to get the whole thing in focus;
3) He moved and I only got 7 shots ;D
4) My intent was on getting the light right, trying more to judge the effect with difficult color juxtapositions than worrying about the stack.
Appreciate your feedback 8)
-
Great image
Thanks. It's just okay.
That the extreme colors seemed to be "natural" and not changed by the flash, is what I was hoping for.
Will take more, and better, photos of her and post them later, when I have the time :)
-
Jack,
A friend sent me a link to a video about what might be called "Extreme microphotography." I think you'll find it interesting.
https://www.facebook.com/the.university.of.oxford/videos/10157015423825107/ (https://www.facebook.com/the.university.of.oxford/videos/10157015423825107/)
Eric
Thank you good sir.
I am actually building an extreme, extreme macro setup as we speak.
My trouble is the use of dead subjects.
I am more of a wildlife photographer, than a "photograph killed subjects" photographer.
I have zero problem taking extreme macro shots of already-dead subjects, but it's not as exciting for me as to capture LIFE as I found it.
I do studio stacks grudgingly ... because sometimes they're necessary ... but am more delighted with an authentic, in situ, capture of wildlife as I was lucky enough to find it.
-
Very nice.