Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: muralin on April 24, 2016, 11:24:45 pm

Title: Short tutorial on creating your own POIs
Post by: muralin on April 24, 2016, 11:24:45 pm
I marked about 200 spots on Google Maps for my trip last month to Iceland. I created a 3 minute tutorial on how to create the POIs using Microsoft's Screen Recorder utility. The video shows 3 ways to mark a spot/POI. (1) using the search feature (2) typing the lat long and (3) dropping a pin. View the video in full screen mode so that the map resolution is the best.

This is how I used the created POIs.
1. Download the POI file in kml or kmz format from the Google Maps app.
2. Imported the kml/kmz file into the POIViewer app on my iPhone6.
3. I also downloaded the Navigon Europe map app and the Iceland map from the iOS app store. I used Navigon so I dont have to incur data charges while in Iceland. Also, Navigon will work even when there is no cell phone coverage.
4. I selected the next POI to visit on the POIViewer app and then asked it to navigate. It opened Navigon and routed me to the spot.

The tutorial is at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6804276/Screen.wmv. Enjoy & let me know if u have any comments or questions.
Title: Re: Short tutorial on creating your own POIs
Post by: BradSmith on April 27, 2016, 06:24:47 pm
I'm on a Mac running OS 10.10.5.    It gives me a messge that it can't open the file.  Two other apps I have, VLC  and WMV Player  also give me messges that they can't open this file.  Anyone have any ideas?
Brad
Title: Re: Short tutorial on creating your own POIs
Post by: muralin on April 27, 2016, 10:15:12 pm
Brad: not sure as I am a Windows guy. Let me convert it to iTunes compliant format and post another file tonite.
Title: Re: Short tutorial on creating your own POIs
Post by: muralin on April 27, 2016, 10:33:52 pm
Brad: try this - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6804276/Screen.mp4

I converted it to mp4 and it plays fine on VLC player and on iTunes. Hope it works.

Also both files stream fine right from Dropbox.