Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: BobShaw on April 22, 2016, 07:05:45 pm

Title: Condensation? on print
Post by: BobShaw on April 22, 2016, 07:05:45 pm
I framed a print behind glass and mat board for an artist just before an exhibition. The artist brought me the print so I don't know history of it, but she said that it was done about a week before.
At the gallery someone decided to the take the picture outside the gallery and put it on an easel facing west in the hottest part of the day.

At the Opening Night the artist showed me the print. There was a patch near the top of the print with marks on it about 50mm round.
I suspect that this was condensation. I apologised and said that I would open it up and see what I could do.
The next day she called me and said that it had come good.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be that the print was not fully dry, even though it was a week old? Does this occur with dye rather than pigment ink or vice versa?

Title: Re: Condensation? on print
Post by: digitaldog on April 22, 2016, 08:25:42 pm
Out gassing? Did the prints dry for a good day plus, face up, prior to framing? Happens with both inks AFAIK; certainly pigments (I've seen it).
Title: Re: Condensation? on print
Post by: Del on April 22, 2016, 10:24:29 pm
A few years back I went to an exhibition of large framed prints (by a famous artist) that were on the interior walls of a Botanical Garden.  All of the prints had condensation on the inside of the glass and some on some of the prints.  I'm sure the artist would have been devastated to have known they were being displayed this way.  I expect that you are right about the condensation.
Title: Re: Condensation? on print
Post by: BobShaw on April 23, 2016, 05:08:45 am
Thanks for your help. I am thinking that even if it was done a week ago, it could have been rolled up straight away. Lesson learnt that even if it is a rush job it is worth saying I need to have it drying flat for a day.
Title: Re: Condensation? on print
Post by: digitaldog on April 23, 2016, 02:03:49 pm
Lesson learnt that even if it is a rush job it is worth saying I need to have it drying flat for a day.
Place a few sheets of butcher paper on top. You'll even see the effects of out-gassing on those sheets after a day or so.