Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on April 22, 2016, 02:15:48 pm

Title: Alabama Cactus
Post by: maddogmurph on April 22, 2016, 02:15:48 pm
This one is just kind of pissing me off.
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: James Clark on April 22, 2016, 04:26:54 pm
Why?  I think it's great.  The texture of the cactus is great and the command of depth of field is as well.   If I was going to be picky it looks like there might be a bit of over sharpening or aggressive clarity on/around the boulders on the right, and I might crop a bit off the left so you have one sweeping line from bottom more left through top right, instead of sort of "center left to top right" like it is now, but that would be looking for something to change - I don't think it's "necessary."
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: maddogmurph on April 22, 2016, 06:54:19 pm
Cropped & lowered contract on rocks.
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: John Koerner on April 22, 2016, 11:32:06 pm
I like the first better.

It's gorgeous and textured.

Would not have clipped the bottom of the cactus, however ...
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: brandtb on April 23, 2016, 08:58:39 am
The image is trying to "do too much". You have cactus in fg but is just buried in the landscape both because of tone and also location vantage point...and then three other zones of content/subject...rocks right, mtns. left, and sky. All mostly interesting - but not a coherent whole.
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: shotupdave on April 23, 2016, 11:48:03 am
i like the crop of the first photo and the dvelopment of the second photo. I would be proud to hang that on my wall if that was my photo
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 23, 2016, 12:21:36 pm
i like the crop of the first photo and the dvelopment of the second photo. I would be proud to hang that on my wall if that was my photo
Me too.
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: maddogmurph on April 23, 2016, 01:41:24 pm
The image is trying to "do too much". You have cactus in fg but is just buried in the landscape both because of tone and also location vantage point...and then three other zones of content/subject...rocks right, mtns. left, and sky. All mostly interesting - but not a coherent whole.

Yeah, I don't actually expect this one to be very well received. I personally don't feel strongly about it. If I had light on the cactus I'd be stoked, but I don't. I've decided to post it anyway.
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 25, 2016, 03:15:43 pm
I think I agree with Brandt on this one. The scene would be fine without the cactus, and the cactus would be interesting without the background. I'm not sure that they need each other, though, or belong in the same frame.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Alabama Cactus
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 26, 2016, 05:39:14 am
It is a nice image.