Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: maddogmurph on April 20, 2016, 02:28:29 am

Title: The Racetrack
Post by: maddogmurph on April 20, 2016, 02:28:29 am
Any thoughts on where to go with this one? I feel like it's almost there, but not quite. I'm just not really getting the mood I felt when seeing it in person. Maybe I just don't like the comp all that much, I don't know. I'm tempted to come in harder on the darks (which is what the shot looks like native) to enhance the feeling of the light entering, but then you can't really see in...

Title: Re: The Racetrack
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 20, 2016, 02:44:37 am
Have you tried going up the Ubehebe Peak for a sweeping view of the Racetrack? See this. (http://www.panamintcity.com/lastchance/ubehebepeak.html)
Title: Re: The Racetrack
Post by: maddogmurph on April 20, 2016, 02:56:26 am
Have you tried going up the Ubehebe Peak for a sweeping view of the Racetrack? See this. (http://www.panamintcity.com/lastchance/ubehebepeak.html)
Interesting perspective, I could see milky way, or sunrise shots working well from up there. Also this photo that you're looking at probably was better from up there I'd imagine. But you'd have to deal with some rain as well, most great shots are earned though.
Title: Re: The Racetrack
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 20, 2016, 03:04:27 am
Yes, this view (http://www.panamintcity.com/panoramic/racetrack1lg.jpg) from that report by Steve Hall is grand.
Title: Re: The Racetrack
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 20, 2016, 04:01:17 am
I like the photo very much, it "takes me there". As it looks almost monochrome, why not B&W?
Title: Re: The Racetrack
Post by: Jens Peermann on April 20, 2016, 08:25:22 am
Great rendition conveying the rugged and inhospitable nature of this environment. It shows the landscape how it is, fascinating and dangerous.
Title: Re: The Racetrack
Post by: Walt Roycraft on April 20, 2016, 08:37:09 am
I like the image quite a lot. Would it be possible to tome down the blown highlights in the clouds?