Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: wing1 on April 19, 2016, 06:26:14 am

Title: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: wing1 on April 19, 2016, 06:26:14 am
Here a great test between Phase One 35 mm and Hasselblad 35 mm (thank you!):
https://digitaltransitions.com/comparison-iq3-100mp-h5x-xf/
The Phase one lens seems to be perfect. Anyone have tested this lens with the Rodenstock 32 hr?
Title: Re: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: Paul2660 on April 19, 2016, 08:29:46 am
The 35LS and 32 HR-W are very close in fact center shots from both are hard to tell apart.  On a tech camera you gain movements with the 32HR-W, but these are also a bit more limited on the larger sensors especially CMOS.  But the ability to use tilt is a nice feature on the 32 HR-W.

For the 35LS, it's corner to corner sharp, does not require the Center filter, has a quiet and fast AF motor

Both are massive pieces of glass, heavy and delicate to use in the field. 


Paul C
Title: Re: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: Steve Hendrix on April 19, 2016, 09:14:45 am
The 35LS and 32 HR-W are very close in fact center shots from both are hard to tell apart.  On a tech camera you gain movements with the 32HR-W, but these are also a bit more limited on the larger sensors especially CMOS.  But the ability to use tilt is a nice feature on the 32 HR-W.

For the 35LS, it's corner to corner sharp, does not require the Center filter, has a quiet and fast AF motor

Both are massive pieces of glass, heavy and delicate to use in the field. 


Paul C


Not an in depth, controlled test, nonetheless below is a link for a comparison between the Schneider 35LS and the Rodenstock 40HR Lens, which is a very close consideration to the 32HR (shot on IQ260). The SK 35LS holds up quite well. I was surprised and impressed, and it reinforces my appreciation of this lens as perhaps the best medium format 35mm focal length ever developed.

The captures were not taken from the exact same spot, and there was no post keystone correction, so the files were not cropped, thereby allowing the full frames to be utilized for strength/weakness evaluation.

Capture Integration 35LS vs 40HR Lens Test (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1x11vd1tjaaak1/AACO_5H2m43J_Z2YGZAicCgEa?dl=0)


Steve Hendrix/CI
Title: Re: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: Graham Welland on April 19, 2016, 10:40:41 am
I have both the 32HR and 35LS.

As Paul mentions the 35LS is one hefty AF lens and so far in my experience it gives the 32HR a run for the money. Both are outstanding benchmark lenses and with my iqx50 at least neither shows any of the corner softness that you might have been used to with the much much less able 35D.

Obviously there are advantages to the relatively simpler 32HR such as movements. If my 35LS had rise/tilt then I wouldn't bother shooting a technical camera any more tbh. It's that good in my experience so far.

I recommend testing the lens dialed in on an XF body. It's a complete boat anchor but you'll quickly see if you can live with it. The 32HR is a little fickle to live with as I'm paranoid that the elements will stress the copal shutter mount over time if other folks experience is anything to go by. I always have to remove and store it in the bag and can't risk leaving it mounted on my Actus DB+.
Title: Re: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: yashima on April 19, 2016, 07:56:33 pm

Not an in depth, controlled test, nonetheless below is a link for a comparison between the Schneider 35LS and the Rodenstock 40HR Lens, which is a very close consideration to the 32HR (shot on IQ260). The SK 35LS holds up quite well. I was surprised and impressed, and it reinforces my appreciation of this lens as perhaps the best medium format 35mm focal length ever developed.

The captures were not taken from the exact same spot, and there was no post keystone correction, so the files were not cropped, thereby allowing the full frames to be utilized for strength/weakness evaluation.

Capture Integration 35LS vs 40HR Lens Test (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g1x11vd1tjaaak1/AACO_5H2m43J_Z2YGZAicCgEa?dl=0)


Steve Hendrix/CI

Thanks Steve, very useful comparison shot, the 35LS is impressive indeed.

I wonder how Contax 35/3.5 would stack up against these. I know it should go nowhere these modern glass, however apart from chromatic abberation, I have seen similar resolving power in Contax 35.

Title: Re: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: Steve Hendrix on April 19, 2016, 09:13:21 pm
Thanks Steve, very useful comparison shot, the 35LS is impressive indeed.

I wonder how Contax 35/3.5 would stack up against these. I know it should go nowhere these modern glass, however apart from chromatic abberation, I have seen similar resolving power in Contax 35.


I agree - I've never tested the Contax 35, but I have seen samples and heard user reports that it's a very good lens. And it does have optional capability for some shift (at least 10mm), via the Contax Shift Lens Module for Alpa FPS Camera. Would love to see a similar module for Mamiya/Schneider lenses one day.

https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/fps-lens-module-contax-645-shift


Steve Hendrix/CI
Title: Re: 35 mm Phase One vs. 32mm HR Digaron-W
Post by: Paul2660 on April 19, 2016, 10:14:33 pm
Yes that would be a great idea, Mamiya/Schneider shift adapter.  But don't see how it could work and keep infinity focus.

Paul C