Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: mseawell on April 18, 2016, 05:23:38 pm

Title: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: mseawell on April 18, 2016, 05:23:38 pm
I may be going to Vegas in October (not by choice I assure you) so I'm trying to take advantage and see the Valley of Fire. Has anyone paid it a visit and is it worth seeing?

Cheers!

Mark
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 18, 2016, 06:20:21 pm
I may be going to Vegas in October (not by choice I assure you) so I'm trying to take advantage and see the Valley of Fire. Has anyone paid it a visit and is it worth seeing?

Cheers!

Mark

Yes and yes. It is a fantastic area. Unfortunately, it closes at sundown. Another location rich in photographic opportunities is the Red Rocks Canyon, just 15 mins out of Las Vegas.



Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: MattBurt on April 18, 2016, 06:58:29 pm
Last time I was sentenced to a Vegas trip for work I spent a lot of time on my bike in the early mornings around Red Rock Canyon and it's beautiful. Especially considering how close it is to the strip. Having that available saved me! :D
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Colorado David on April 18, 2016, 07:49:12 pm
There are a couple of trade shows I attend most years in Las Vegas. I will have to remember these locations for those times. I am fortunately missing one this week.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Peter McLennan on April 18, 2016, 07:55:25 pm
I second Rajan's enthusiasm for Valley of Fire.  Spectacular.
There's a campground, too. That gets around the "closed at sunset" rules. Busy, though and small.  Arrive early for a spot.  It's a lovely site.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: donbga on April 18, 2016, 09:20:05 pm
Yes and yes. It is a fantastic area. Unfortunately, it closes at sundown. Another location rich in photographic opportunities is the Red Rocks Canyon, just 15 mins out of Las Vegas.

The VOF is great but do some research before going. The ruins of an old movie set used in the movie, "The Professionals" is a cool location found on the trail to the sand dunes. Be prepared for for some hiking and get in shape before going out. VOF is one of the most impressive state parks I ever visited in the states.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: sbarger on April 30, 2016, 05:39:29 am
There is an issue of the Photograph America newsletter, Issue 45, that provides specific details of photo opportunities in Valley of Fire.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Jens Peermann on April 30, 2016, 09:21:11 pm
I may be going to Vegas in October (not by choice I assure you) so I'm trying to take advantage and see the Valley of Fire. Has anyone paid it a visit and is it worth seeing?

Cheers!

Mark

Yes, it is worth seeing. More than anything else in Nevada, including Las Vegas and even Lake Tahoe.

Officially the hours are from dawn to dusk, but effectively that isn't a problem. There are no gates that get closed at night; you can drive in or out any time you want. In more than 25 years of visiting that park I never had a problem with that rule, to the point that most of the time I am not even aware of it.

The remains of the movie set dondga mentions are in the White Domes area, which is at the end of the White Domes Road. You can't miss it. A loop trail starts and ends at the parking lot. Along this trail you will find the movie set, as well as a small slot canyon, to my knowledge the only one in Nevada.

Valley of Fire is known for thousands of small rock formations that inspire interpretations and great images, They can be found anywhere in the park, but the highest concentration can be found along a trail between the two campgrounds near Atlatl Rock. Probably the most rewarding location if you're on a tight schedule.

The park's most popular feature is Elephant Rock, located near the east entrance. A short trail from the parking lot near the entrance will get you there.

Another interesting feature is the monolith near the visitor center. It rivals Balanced Rock in Arches NP for adventurous balancing of rocks on top of another. Viewed from the west it can look like a rat and some people call it that.

Most of VoF is morning shooting, some areas - including the trail between the campgrounds - are good for most of the day, and the Fire Canyon/Silica Dome area is good for late afternoon and even sunset shooting when the sun sets far enough to the north.

Valley of Fire is a hot place. It's temperatures between March and October rival those of Death Valley. Be aware of that when planning a visit.

Happy shooting.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: James Clark on May 06, 2016, 10:39:28 pm
Maybe I'm the outlier, but I found Red Rocks to be a great place to visit but difficult photographically.  Amazing to drive/hike through though. 

VoF is high on my list for a visit!
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: donbga on May 08, 2016, 11:41:22 am
Maybe I'm the outlier, but I found Red Rocks yo be a great place to visit but difficult photographically.  Amazing to drive/hike through though. 

VoF is high on my list for a visit though.
I don't disagree that VOF can be difficult to photograph being that it falls into the 'rocks and roots' genre of subject matter, never the less it can be an exciting place to photograph if one wraps their photographic mind around the unique environment afforded the visitor. At least that's my two cents worth.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Jens Peermann on May 08, 2016, 03:00:42 pm
I don't disagree that VOF can be difficult to photograph being that it falls into the 'rocks and roots' genre of subject matter, never the less it can be an exciting place to photograph if one wraps their photographic mind around the unique environment afforded the visitor. At least that's my two cents worth.

James wrote that Red Rock (Canyon) is difficult to photograph, not VoF. VoF is a photographer's candy store.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: adhika.lee on May 08, 2016, 03:32:23 pm
Jens, are you saying that we can open and close as we come and go to the park? I might be stopping by the Valley of Fire next month as well.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Jens Peermann on May 08, 2016, 07:20:20 pm
Jens, are you saying that we can open and close as we come and go to the park? I might be stopping by the Valley of Fire next month as well.

I said there are no gates. So, there's no need to open or close anything. It is possible to come and go any time you want.

However, there is a park fee to be paid at either one of the two entrances. It's $10 per day ($8 for Nevada residents). There are self-pay stations at both entrances that use the familiar envelop deposit procedure. I highly recommend to make sure your fee is paid for the calendar day that you are present in the park. Entering and paying late in the afternoon of one day will not give you park privileges for 24 hours from the time you entered; only until midnight. Starting at midnight a new payment is due for the new day (and I think that is what the dawn to dusk rule is all about). It is possible to pay for multiple days at once.

Hope this helps.
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: adhika.lee on May 08, 2016, 07:44:04 pm
I said there are no gates. So, there's no need to open or close anything. It is possible to come and go any time you want.

However, there is a park fee to be paid at either one of the two entrances. It's $10 per day ($8 for Nevada residents). There are self-pay stations at both entrances that use the familiar envelop deposit procedure. I highly recommend to make sure your fee is paid for the calendar day that you are present in the park. Entering and paying late in the afternoon of one day will not give you park privileges for 24 hours from the time you entered; only until midnight. Starting at midnight a new payment is due for the new day (and I think that is what the dawn to dusk rule is all about). It is possible to pay for multiple days at once.

Hope this helps.


Awesome. Thanks so much for this info!!
Title: Re: Valley of Fire (Nevada)
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on May 09, 2016, 11:45:58 am
Jens, are you saying that we can open and close as we come and go to the park? I might be stopping by the Valley of Fire next month as well.

When I was there in Nov during sundown, a park ranger was driving around urging visitors to leave.