Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Colorado_CJ on April 17, 2016, 11:11:17 pm

Title: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: Colorado_CJ on April 17, 2016, 11:11:17 pm
With nothing better to do on a rainy day, I decided to try out my library's large format printer.

I cleaned up a scan of one of my 4x5 film negatives and brought it down to be printed. 

I downsized the scan to 44" x 35" (the scan was 67" wide natively).

I am REALLY impressed with how well the print turned out.  This was my first time printing anything this large and I was wondering how good it would look.  The detail is amazing!

I've wet printed this image before in my juryrigged darkroom, but only an 8 x 10 image. 

The best part about this is the price.  My library only charges $5.00 per linear foot for any print.  At 44" wide, I can make some LARGE prints now if I want to.

I can see that I'm going to start making use of this printer in the future.

Here is the 44" x 35" print.

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1590/26195083160_6d2a1b74d2_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/FULDAQ)First Large Format Print (https://flic.kr/p/FULDAQ) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr

And here is the actual image I printed. 

This was shot on a Zone VI Large Format 4x5 using a Nikkor SW 180mm f5.6 lens and a 25A red jell filter. Shot at F22 for roughly 1 second.  Shot on Foma 200 rated at 120 ISO and developed in HC110 at dilution H for 9 minutes. Scanned with an Epson V750 Pro and touched up in Photoshop.


(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3861/14768094699_3297654998_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/ov1m3p)Life on the Edge (https://flic.kr/p/ov1m3p) by Andrew Marjama (https://www.flickr.com/photos/55229792@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: luxborealis on April 18, 2016, 08:57:43 am

This was shot on a Zone VI Large Format 4x5 using a Nikkor SW 180mm f5.6 lens and a 25A red jell filter. Shot at F22 for roughly 1 second.  Shot on Foma 200 rated at 120 ISO and developed in HC110 at dilution H for 9 minutes. Scanned with an Epson V750 Pro and touched up in Photoshop.


Music to my ears. In many ways I miss those days. Congratulations on a great photograph and print. While one might be tempted to suggest opening up the blacks, they suit the image very well as presented.
Title: Re: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: James Clark on April 18, 2016, 03:28:50 pm
I really like the image and the print.  Is it just me, or is the print a bit cooler than the base image?  I quite like the darker blue tones in the print, if I'm seeing it accurately.

Title: Re: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: RoyH on April 19, 2016, 11:46:32 am
Andrew,

Nice image and print. Going out on a limb and assuming you are in Colorado based on your profile name... I'm also in Colorado, may I asked where you are located and want library has this printer?

Thanks, Roy
Title: Re: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: Colorado_CJ on April 19, 2016, 08:51:30 pm
Music to my ears. In many ways I miss those days. Congratulations on a great photograph and print. While one might be tempted to suggest opening up the blacks, they suit the image very well as presented.

Thanks!  I do shoot with digital cameras, but for the past couple of years, I've found myself using a large format film camera more than my DSLR.

The print, and the image both have slightly more open shadows than what is shown here.  For some reason Flickr really messes with sharpness and adds contrast to all my images. 
Title: Re: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: Colorado_CJ on April 19, 2016, 08:54:30 pm
I really like the image and the print.  Is it just me, or is the print a bit cooler than the base image?  I quite like the darker blue tones in the print, if I'm seeing it accurately.

Thank you.  Yes, the print is true B&W where there is a slight amount of sepia applied to the flickr image.
Title: Re: My First Large Format Print - Life on the Edge - 4x5 LF
Post by: Colorado_CJ on April 19, 2016, 08:55:18 pm
Andrew,

Nice image and print. Going out on a limb and assuming you are in Colorado based on your profile name... I'm also in Colorado, may I asked where you are located and want library has this printer?

Thanks, Roy

Yes, I am in Loveland, Colorado.  The Loveland Public Library is where I had this printed.