Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: sierraman on April 15, 2016, 10:39:27 am

Title: Grand Canyon
Post by: sierraman on April 15, 2016, 10:39:27 am
I never get tired of photographing the Grand Canyon. I do get tired on the long drive back and forth to the canyon but thats another story.  :)
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 15, 2016, 11:15:00 am
And I never get tired of seeing great photos from the GC, like yours:)
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: MattBurt on April 15, 2016, 11:27:44 am
Nice atmosphere in this.
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 15, 2016, 11:41:11 am
Great use of sfumato.
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: sierraman on April 15, 2016, 01:34:37 pm
Great use of sfumato.
I'll take that as a compliment. I think?  :)
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Bob_B on April 15, 2016, 01:37:20 pm
sfumato: the technique of allowing tones and colors to shade gradually into one another, producing softened outlines or hazy forms

And, yes, it is very sfumato-esque ;).... and a darn wonderful photo
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 15, 2016, 01:58:22 pm
To add to the definition: "The word 'sfumato' comes from the Italian language and is derived from "fumo" (smoke, fume)." (Wikipedia). One of the great techniques of the Renaissance. Look, for instance, behind Mona Lisa's head for its application in landscape.

Your image bears resemblance to Renaissance landscapes. Good enough for a compliment? :)
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 15, 2016, 03:40:17 pm
And I thought "sfumato" was the thing they use to make red pasta sauce, until I checked Wikipedia.

It is a beautiful, atmospheric shot.
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: muntanela on April 16, 2016, 05:02:27 pm
And I thought "sfumato" was the thing they use to make red pasta sauce.


Definitely not. But there is the "sformato"... , https://www.google.it/search?q=sformato&biw=1232&bih=605&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSj7LthpTMAhXM1RQKHTV-AoUQsAQIKw
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 16, 2016, 08:45:00 pm
Definitely not. But there is the "sformato"... , https://www.google.it/search?q=sformato&biw=1232&bih=605&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSj7LthpTMAhXM1RQKHTV-AoUQsAQIKw
Thanks. I'll order one of each.  :D
Title: Re: Grand Canyon
Post by: Jens Peermann on April 19, 2016, 10:48:47 pm
Wonderful light and the moisture in this dry place makes it quite sensational.