Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Arlen on April 13, 2016, 05:36:07 pm

Title: Alaska 8am
Post by: Arlen on April 13, 2016, 05:36:07 pm
Captured in Alaska's Wood-Tikchik State Park, about 40 miles from Bristol Bay, on a heavily overcast morning just as a ray of sunshine was breaking through.

(Edit: I thought I had figured out how to get this image to open in a separate window instead of embedded, but apparently not.)
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on April 13, 2016, 06:37:34 pm
Arlen,

Why didn't you present it as a photograph? (Not a criticism. Just curious.)

PS: to fire up in a separate window, the largest dimension has to be at least 1200px, I think.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Arlen on April 13, 2016, 07:15:08 pm
Rajan, I think what you're referring to is an effect that I've been experimenting with that slightly smooths out some details. I liked the look of it here, but of course that's a subjective thing--I guess I could be alone in that.

As for the separate window issue, I also thought it would take effect at greater than 1200 px; that's why I made it 1202.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 13, 2016, 08:03:38 pm
It does look "painterly," but very nice.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 14, 2016, 03:27:38 am
I think both versions will work.

Thierry
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on April 14, 2016, 03:54:12 am
Good light and composition. The "effect" is personal.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 14, 2016, 06:04:40 am
As for the separate window issue, I also thought it would take effect at greater than 1200 px; that's why I made it 1202.

You have placed a link to the photo in the body of your post. To get the pic to open in a separate window, you must upload it to LuLa using the "Choose file" button, which for some bizarre reason is hidden by default. Click on "Attachments and other options" and you'll see it.

It will open inline if its longest dimension is 1200 or less, and in a new window otherwise.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Arlen on April 14, 2016, 11:46:16 am
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I had wondered how others would perceive the smoothing effect, but decided that rather than point it out initially, I would wait and see if there were any comments on it. For comparison, here is what it looks like without that effect.

Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Arlen on April 14, 2016, 11:50:21 am
Jeremy, thanks for the advice about how to get an image to open in a separate window. Unfortunately, the procedure that I followed was exactly as you described, and it still was embedded. However, I just did some tests, and have determined that the cutoff for opening in a new window is now 1203 pixels; anything less will be embedded. For example, the images above are 1202 pixels wide. Here is another version that is 1203, and as you can see, it opens in a new window.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: thierrylegros396 on April 14, 2016, 12:11:54 pm
I like both versions.

Thierry
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: sierraman on April 14, 2016, 02:02:18 pm
Me, I like bold colors. Nice.  :)
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Bob_B on April 15, 2016, 08:56:16 am
+1 for both versions. It must have been a wonderful experience to see that sunrise.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Tony Jay on April 16, 2016, 06:00:08 am
A stunningly beautiful capture - the colours are heavenly!

Either version would make a spectacular large print.

Congratulations

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 16, 2016, 01:58:43 pm
Jeremy, thanks for the advice about how to get an image to open in a separate window. Unfortunately, the procedure that I followed was exactly as you described, and it still was embedded. However, I just did some tests, and have determined that the cutoff for opening in a new window is now 1203 pixels; anything less will be embedded. For example, the images above are 1202 pixels wide. Here is another version that is 1203, and as you can see, it opens in a new window.

You're quite right. I use 1210.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 16, 2016, 08:57:33 pm
Jeremy, thanks for the advice about how to get an image to open in a separate window. Unfortunately, the procedure that I followed was exactly as you described, and it still was embedded. However, I just did some tests, and have determined that the cutoff for opening in a new window is now 1203 pixels; anything less will be embedded. For example, the images above are 1202 pixels wide. Here is another version that is 1203, and as you can see, it opens in a new window.
I never expected inflation to hit the image size criterion.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: Arlen on April 17, 2016, 04:49:09 pm
I never expected inflation to hit the image size criterion.

Maybe it's a feature of the new format, just to keep us on our toes.

Thanks to everyone for all your kind comments.
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: KBStudio on April 19, 2016, 11:30:21 am
I like both versions as well Arlen but for different reasons.  I like the realistic for its detail and environmental acutance.  The smooth version has a more etherial feeling.  Nicely done!!!
Title: Re: Alaska 8am
Post by: PeterAit on April 19, 2016, 01:16:06 pm
Captured in Alaska's Wood-Tikchik State Park, about 40 miles from Bristol Bay, on a heavily overcast morning just as a ray of sunshine was breaking through.


Potentially a lovely image but, to be honest, I cannot believe those are real colors. They look "pumped up" to me.