Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on April 13, 2016, 09:09:59 am

Title: Waiting
Post by: stamper on April 13, 2016, 09:09:59 am
! or ?
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: muntanela on April 13, 2016, 09:57:19 am
The smartphone crosses generations...
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: RSL on April 13, 2016, 09:59:52 am
I really like the shot, but it seems over-processed.
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 13, 2016, 11:56:54 am
I like the shot, too, but I don't think the colour adds anything. I'd try it in B&W.
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: stamper on April 14, 2016, 03:26:42 am
I really like the shot, but it seems over-processed.

Thanks. I decided to experiment by using a pre set from Color Efex. I don't do this often but I thought it looked OK. Will look at the B&W rendering which is usually my first choice.
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: stamper on April 14, 2016, 04:28:16 am
A B&W version and in hindsight probably better than the original. The moral of the story is......keep it simple. There is a very slight blur in the image because I captured it at an 1/8 of a second hoping for more blur but the people in the image didn't cooperate
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: William Walker on April 14, 2016, 06:35:24 am
The moral of the story is......

Stamper, to me, the moral of the story is - "stick with your usual processing..."

To my mind, you have been posting some really good work in the past year or so, and, at a guess, I would think you have stuck to a pretty standard workflow - that is your "look". Stick with it would be my feeling...

These presets...mmmm...you might as well shoot jpegs.
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: petermfiore on April 14, 2016, 08:11:34 am
A B&W version and in hindsight probably better than the original. The moral of the story is......keep it simple. There is a very slight blur in the image because I captured it at an 1/8 of a second hoping for more blur but the people in the image didn't cooperate

I absolutely love bus stop images...an outdoor stage. A great performance by cast and director!

Peter
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 14, 2016, 09:28:40 am
I agree with Russ. The B&W version moves it back up there with your other great shots.

They look so used to long waits for the bus that they have turned off their minds completely. Even a 30 second exposure might not have shown much blur.
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: rogerxnz on April 14, 2016, 03:56:49 pm
I agree the B+W version is better but I don't like the lack of sharpness in the people. Why did you want to blur them?

It seems to me that if you really wanted stationary people to be blurred, you would need a much, much longer exposure than your 1/8.

What I see is slightly blurred faces here and there, which is irritating to me because the blur is not constant and I am not sure why you would slightly blur the most interesting parts of your image.
Roger
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: GrahamBy on April 14, 2016, 05:11:54 pm
I am not sure why you would slightly blur the most interesting parts of your image.

Because sometimes you keep people looking by not giving them everything they want to see :)

And in more extreme cases, it could also help you out with legal issues  ;)
Title: Re: Waiting
Post by: stamper on April 15, 2016, 03:38:13 am
I agree the B+W version is better but I don't like the lack of sharpness in the people. Why did you want to blur them?

It seems to me that if you really wanted stationary people to be blurred, you would need a much, much longer exposure than your 1/8.

What I see is slightly blurred faces here and there, which is irritating to me because the blur is not constant and I am not sure why you would slightly blur the most interesting parts of your image.
Roger


My project for the day was to shoot at 1/8 second or 1/13 second. I had taken a lot of images at these settings when I shot this image. I was surprised there wasn't more blur in the people and I thought it would make a decent " straight " shot.  :)