Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on April 12, 2016, 04:12:47 am
-
Good morning. These were taken while on a geological fieldtrip in the Jebel Akhdar mountains, Wadi Bani Kharus. Many millions of years in the rock record...
The first one is near a village where we stopped, where there are outcrops that show how the Earth 600 my ago could have been covered by ice (snowball Earth theory). Why? Because Oman at the time was in the Equator, and the rock record shows diamictites (glacial deposits). Enough geology...
For the second one, I applied an "antique plate" look, thought it suited the landscape.
Regards.
-
Hi Paulo,
I (re-)enjoyed seeing your Oman shots - a greatly under appreciated part of the world, but I like the fact it's relatively untouched. Looks like we went to the same places in the Jebel Akhdar region. Any thoughts on going back?
Mike
http://www.mgreenphotography.blogspot.jp/search/label/Oman
-
Oops - wrong link in previous post - Jebel Akhdar specifically:
http://www.mgreenphotography.blogspot.jp/2008/11/jebel-akhdar.html
-
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the links to your shots. Both links actually, it was great to see the shots from Musandam, what a place. As for Jebel Akhdar, your shots are from the Sayq Plateau; whereas the ones I posted are from the same mountain range, but from Wadi Bani Kharus, which entrance is near the village of Nakhl, on the Eastern side (the access to Sayq Plateau is from the Western side, before Nizwa).
As for going back, well, I still go there twice a year on business trips. This last time I stayed for longer and went on a geology field trip. But for sure I would love to go back, I lived there for 7 years, a beautiful country with friendly people.
-
Both images are very nice and I like the antique look, it suits the places perfectly.
-
Lovely shots. It looks like a fascinating place.